Discussion Boards

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Calories burned on elliptical

How many calories are burned on an elliptical trainer? It seems that the reading on the elliptical monitor is an over estimation of what calories are truly expended.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

It depends on your height, weight, etc., so the estimate the elliptical gives you is based on some "average" person (whoever THAT is!)...so I always go by what I log online on the NS exercise log...I figure they probably account for height/weight more than my elliptical does. And I do remember reading somewhere that what the elliptical tells you is not very accurate (although I am sure the better the elliptical you have, the more accurate).

~*~Charlsie~*~

Inches lost so far= 14.25

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted..."

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Precor & my HRM watch are very close to the same figures, depending on how intense the workout I can burn up to 11 calories per minute, the average range for me is 7-11 per min. The high end being a steady workout at 75-80% HMR, the low end being 60%. I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor watch that has a calorie burned function on it or use a site like Fit Day or the Daily Plate. NS's calorie chart seems a bit off to me as well.
    Jen

Countdown to 100

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Calorie counts are voodoo on any machine. None of them are trustworthy for anything other than comparing your workouts on the same machine but different days.
    Be especially careful of doing calorie math -- if I burn this many calories I will lose this much weight -- because weight loss is more complicated than that and besides, most calorie counters fail to take into account your basal metablolism -- the number of calories you'd burn doing absolutely nothing.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Keep up the great workout!!!

The elliptical is the most popular for a reason!! You can burn a lot of calories on it. When I work out for 30 minutes and hit it hard, the free standing elliptical, I can burn about 323. Its a great work out!!!

Like 1,661 Times in 940 Posts

Studies have shown the calorie counts on exercise machines are overstated by up to 30%. The best way to track your calories is with a heart rate monitor. Anything else is just a guess.
    Christie Miller
    Healthy Living Architect
    Click --> to connect on FB

I'm a Nutrisystem success story. I do not work for the company. Contact Nutrisystem for official information.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am using an Iron Man elliptical purchased from Costco a few years back now. Just did 30 minutes on low to med-low intensity and it recorded 82 calories for my wimmpy 1/2 hour work-out that kicked my butt. I am sure to get better, always have in the past. NS recorded 389 calories for 30 minutes - OH MY GOSH, I have a long ways to go to make that level of intensity. I am just starting back on NS and hit the elliptical on Day 2. My guess is I will be hard pressed to make a 100 calories in 30 minutes.

Like 288 Times in 206 Posts

I agree, get yourself a HRM. Some machines come with one that you can wear around your chest and the machine reads it (my treadmill has one)but there usually isn't a way to tell it your age, weight, height, etc. All of which play into how many calories you burn. As you get more fit, you are going to burn less calories doing the same exercise so you have to ramp it up more.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do the elliptical for a straight 20-30 mins usually on my lunch break and I dont do it everyday. this coupled with nutrisystem and I have lost about 19lbs and I am on week 7 now. I personally think it works. I also have a sit on your butt all day job. Frankly Im bored of my routine though. Until I can find more time its this or running outside my office or weightlifting.