Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upset Stomach

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exclamation Upset Stomach

I did Nutrisystem a number of years ago (6 or 7 years ago) and had success on it. I am just getting started on doing it again. Yesterday was my first day on the program.

Last night after eating dinner (the cheese and spinach raviolis) my stomach started hurting. I did not feel well. I felt like I could throw up but nothing ever happened at all. I eventually went to bed and woke up feeling fine.

And I just recently at lunch (split pea soup) and I am again experiencing the same stomach pain. This pain is located in my upper stomach area. Like if you place your hands above your belly button. Its not a hunger pain, I don't feel the need for additional food.

Can you please give me any suggestions on what could be causing this ache, what I should do, etc. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

After I posted this, my friend was asking me if the two foods contain soy, one does. I guess he is wondering if I am allergic to soy which I don't know, I've never really had problems with it before but I don't really eat a lot of soy to being with.
    Last edited by RChatt; 04-10-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: updated

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

I guess it's possible to become allergic to soy. It is in a lot of foods though, but you can develop an allergy at any time.

I was the same way you were, except I experienced severe stomach pains after eating the wedged potatoes and beef dinner. I even called to see if there were any ingredients I could be allergic to and was told there wasn't anything in that dinner I could be allergic to.

A few days later I had a doctor's appointment for something unrelated and mentioned it to him. I explained what I ate and was I was eating and he said it was probably all the additional fiber and just the complete change in eating. (high fat to low fat, not a lot of fiber to high fiber, etc.). He said I could try the OTC gas remedies and that might help.

I did adjust after about 3 weeks and felt fine. But I did experience severe stomach pains also and just wanted to share what happened to me. I don't know if this is what is happening to you, it might be something different.

I stuck to the more 'bland' items- hamburgers, pancakes, etc. and stuck with less bulky fruit & veggie add-ins. I felt fine.

I'd call a counselor, but that's what happened to me. Good luck! I really hope it isn't a food allergy. But it's probably better to find out now so you can check labels.
    Started: 5/3/07 Goal: 9/11/07 BMI 20.5

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Unknown

Wickedness sucks in the greater part of its own venom, and poisons itself therewith.--Michel de Montaigne

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure that I don't have the exact answer, but I definitely had the same problem when I started. I had to call a counselor. I was told that the fiber content could cause the problem or sugar alcohols in some of the foods. I was told to try to change what I was eating for the fruit and vegetable add ins....For instance, you might try V8 juice or cooked vegetables rather than raw. For fruit, you may opt for canned, no sugar added fruits. You can ease back in to the raw veggies once you are feeling better. I also notice that I still occasionally have more stomach problems when I eat some things that are sweetened with the sugar alcohols, but I think I'm better with this now.
    This might sound strange, but I have also felt relief from chewing 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds. It doesn't taste great, but it sure helps when I have trouble.
    Last, and I hope it wouldn't be true, but I did have similar problems with my gallbladder (long before I started nutrisystem). If the ache persists, you've got to get in and see your health care provider.
    Good luck. I hope this goes away soon.
    Lori

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if this is going to help you because I don't have the answer. Like you, I got SO sick on the food, not to mention the gas. Like Swedish8Fish I was eating the "bland" foods, which are always my choice, but those were the foods that were making me so sick! After a few days all I could think was that I could not feel this way for the next 28 days. Some members said it was the increased fiber, others said it was the artificial sweetners. I personally did not want to start putting a chemical (beano, gas-x, etc.) into my body every day so I stopped eating the food and immediately started to feel better and it still took about a week for my stomach to get back to normal.

What I couldn't understand is that I had been eating the food for lunch. My sister-in-law had given me a whole bunch of her food and I didn't have any problems. I just figured that maybe I couldn't eat NS food four times a day, but I believe in the program and so I started following it half with NS food and half on my own--with no problems.

A few weeks ago I realized that I had eaten NS pancakes for breakfast, NS chicken salad for lunch, and I had NS white cheddar soy chips for my afternoon protein snack and I was fine. It was just a random day where I happened to have eaten all NS foods and that wasn't the first day that I've eaten all NS foods, so I don't know what the cause of all the stomach upsets is, though I have been trying to stay away from the foods with sorbitol and maltitol (sp?), but those aren't in the pancakes, beef/chicken patties or the chips, and those are the foods I got so sick on.

All I can do is suggest that you ease your way into the plan. Start with one NS meal a day, then increase to two, and so on. It's a great plan, I love it, and I recommend it to everyone.
    ~Maria

Like 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Rchatt,
    Your symptoms could be related to adjusting to the high fiber in the program or it could be ingredient intolerance like a lactose intolerance, soy intolerance or wheat intolerance. It’s hard to say. If you are not use to have a high fiber diet you should try working up to the high fiber by limiting the entrees you select to those that have 6 grams of fiber or less for the next week and replace one of your fruit servings with a half cup of fruit juice. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. A high fiber diet with little water can lead to stomach pains and constipation.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

questions@nutrisystem.com

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

Like a lot of people here, I first blamed the sweetners too and eliminated them (and some of the better food along with it) and didn't feel much better so for me, it was an indication that it was a combination of the increased fiber/soy/dairy or all of them. I had eaten plenty of WW desserts and things that are loaded with sweetners and never had a problem. To me it was a pretty good indication that I was eating a pretty bad diet previous to NS and I really did adjust after some time. I sure wasn't eating low fat, fruit 3x a day, tons of veggies and dairy 3x a day! So that was my experience. And similiar to what the dietitian mentioned.

Drink plenty of water and don't skip your fat serving. That seemed to help as well.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Unknown

Wickedness sucks in the greater part of its own venom, and poisons itself therewith.--Michel de Montaigne

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you everyone who replied. I think I will give a try to bean-o and also try starting with entrees with lower grams of fiber. I figure I'll get past this, but in the mean time it just isn't fun.

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

I hope you feel better soon!! Believe me, I know what you're going through. I woke my husband up in the middle of the night.

Like 160 Times in 101 Posts

Interestingly I have been having that same upper stomach "discomfort" for the past month or two...have been on NS over a year and a half and never had a problem. So dont think its fiber - was used to a very high fiber diet - just wondering if in the most recent reformulations of so many foods there might be some combination that bothers me.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish8Fish View Post
    Like a lot of people here, I first blamed the sweetners too and eliminated them (and some of the better food along with it) and didn't feel much better so for me, it was an indication that it was a combination of the increased fiber/soy/dairy or all of them. I had eaten plenty of WW desserts and things that are loaded with sweetners and never had a problem.
    Do you remember which WW desserts you had? WW were just on sale at my local grocery--2 for $3.00 and if I bought five I got $5.00 back, so I got 12 desserts for $4.00--that was just too good a deal to pass up, especially in this economy. My cheat day is Friday so I'll have them then.

I just checked the chocolate fudge cake, brownie sundae, and strawberry shortcake and none of them have sorbitol or maltitol, or did you mean something different?
    ~Maria