Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Where are Unsweetened Craisins?

I am confused on where you can get unsweetened craisins. I have a bag of Oceanspray craisins that have the same stats that I see people posting in other threads, but they say sweetened. So are these ok? And where would you get unsweetened ones anyway? I saw none at the grocery store. Health food store maybe?

Craisin stats:
    1/3 cup
    Cal 130
    Carb 33
    Fiber 3
    Sugars 26
    Last edited by normajean999; 05-09-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by normajean999 View Post
    I am confused on where you can get unsweetened craisins. I have a bag of Oceanspray craisins that have the same stats that I see people posting in other threads, but they say sweetened. So are these ok? And where would you get unsweetened ones anyway? I saw none at the grocery store. Health food store maybe?

Craisin stats:
    1/3 cup
    Cal 130
    Carb 33
    Fiber 3
    Sugars 26
    I always get the same kind as you. I have never seen unsweetened. I think someone said when I first started, that Trader Joes had them, but I don't have one that close to me. Don't know for sure. I would think they would be awfully sour if they weren't sweetened.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great thanks for clarifying that. I was hoping they were ok since they are expensive.

Thanks

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Normajean - If you have a Target store near you, They sell the Craisins much cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Near me, everywhere else they are $2.99 for the 8 oz. package. At Target, the 12 oz. package was $3.89. A much better deal! I eat them every day on my salad, so I go through a lot.

Like 1,255 Times in 776 Posts

i was wondering the same thing. i was at TJs yesterday and they only had sweetened cranberries. i didn't think we could have sweetened ones but since other fruits naturally have sugar in them, i guess that is why the sweetened cranberries are ok. comparing the stats above to the raisins they are pretty comparable. (why didn't i do this when i was in the store?)

for a 1/4 cup (40g) of raisins:
    Cal 130
    Carb 31g
    Sugar 29g
    Fiber 2g

there is a place near work that makes a tuna salad with cranberries and sliced apples so i had cranberries on the brain.

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

I use dried cranberries in the NS Chicken Salad too. I always fix it up anyway, and the cranberries give it a kind of kick. Much improvement!

I also get Ocean Spray Craisins at Target. They were on sale the other day 12oz. bag for $3.24! I stocked up. They are so expensive elsewhere, like jsal318 said.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes I do have target. Thanks for the info!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jsal318 View Post
    Normajean - If you have a Target store near you, They sell the Craisins much cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Near me, everywhere else they are $2.99 for the 8 oz. package. At Target, the 12 oz. package was $3.89. A much better deal! I eat them every day on my salad, so I go through a lot.
    I can go one better. Costco sells a 4 lb. bag of Craisins for $6.89! I buy a bag every couple of months. We use them on oatmeal, bran flakes instead of raisins, peaches, salads, mixed in the chicken salad...you can be very creative and a little goes a long way.
    BTW, I've NEVER seen an unsweetened dried cranberry, and I've looked pretty much everywhere I shop. I don't think they would be very tasty...

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have seen low sugar craisins at Central Market, but that doesn't do much for most of you as this is a local store not a chain. The low sugar craisins were great, sometimes the regular ones seem a little sweet to me.

Onward and Downward in Search of Our Pot of Gold
    Challenge Starting Weight 151.4

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I buy dried cranberries at a bulk shop. The biggest chain here is called Bulk barn, but there are lots of indie places and health food stores that carry them, and they have no added sweetener.