Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like 112 Times in 97 Posts

Default What does it mean when your knee "crackles" when you bend it?

I was starting up some stairs the other day and heard kind of a grinding or crackling sound and wondered what was wrong with the stairs. Then I realized.....it was my knee making that noise!!! That's not a good sign is it?
    Jo Ann

Like 329 Times in 240 Posts

OOPS, your getting older. Mine do that all the time. I really don't know an answer other then arthritis is starting.

73 years young, joined at age 66, October '06.
    Always trying to lose more. I eat NS about 50% now.
    GOAL reached, 170 -50 8/2007 first 10 months (40 weeks)

Jo Ann

Like 71 Times in 51 Posts

Joint Noise - - Popping and Cracking

By Elizabeth Quinn, About.com Guide
    Updated November 24, 2003
    About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by the Medical Review Board

See More About:

Noises in the joints, especially the knees, can be quite disturbing and cause concern. Often, these noises are not indicative of any underlying problem. Knee cracking and popping usually has a 'bark that is worse than its bite.' Such noise often persists for years without any real problem developing. If there is no pain with cracks or pops, you can assume it is being caused by the soft tissue in a joint. In the knee this may occur if the patella is slightly out of alignment and may rub on the adjacent tissues. Noises that are associated with pain may indicate damage to the articulating surfaces of the joint. Such pops and clicks may be due to tears in the meniscus, but are sometimes just due to an overly large or loose meniscus which may snap over the other structures in the knee as the knee bends and straightens.
    The bottom line is this. If you hear pops and clicks with no associated pain in a joint, you may want to begin some conditioning exercises to improve the overall integrety of the joint. If the muscles are strong, they will take the weight off of the joint and relax the pressure on those articulating surfaces. If there is pain along with those joint noises, there may be structural damage building in the joint, and it would be prudent to see a physician for an appropriate diagnosis.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine do it too, I have not experienced any pain (finger's crossed). Here's what I found:

From The Stone Clinic:

"Doc, my knee crackles and pops when I bend and extend it, but it does not hurt or swell."

ANSWER: Most commonly, this is either scar tissue or a rough area between the kneecap and the femur where the knee cap rubs. Cracking and popping inside of the knee is very common, and usually does not need any treatment at all. If the knee produces pain and swelling, then treatment can be performed; often non-operative treatment consisting of specific exercises and physical therapy helps. Drinking glucosamine increases joint lubrication. If these symptoms persist, a careful physical examination, x-rays, and a MRI are usually employed to make the diagnosis and sometimes damaged articular cartilage or scar tissue can be smoothed, removed or re-grown in order to diminish the pain with popping.
    Lynn
    147+/133.2/127

VISIT MY TNT PAGE! http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/rnr11/lweber6p3c
    BL10 Total loss: -9.4lbs
    2010 Races:
    Run For Fun Oct 2 5K PR 26:08
    2011 Races
    Davis Stampede 5K Feb 6 28:38
    Leap Into Spring Lucky 7K Mar 5
    San Diego Rock N Roll Full Marathon Jun 5

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoolittle_AutumnGirl View Post
    I was starting up some stairs the other day and heard kind of a grinding or crackling sound and wondered what was wrong with the stairs. Then I realized.....it was my knee making that noise!!! That's not a good sign is it?
    The technical medical answer is that "thingies connected to the whatnots no longer have enough whatchacallit to ensure smooth movement through the thingamajig".
    It's probably too complicated for lay people....

Mostly, it's creakin' that happens as you age and eventually all your joints will play little songs (like percussion solo's) when you move! Keeps you company and lets you know you're still alive.

One word of warning though. One the creaking starts and it always happens--if for some reason it DOESN'T happen when you bend or stoop? You'll probably need an ambulance!

~J~

Like 5 Times in 1 Post

Hi Joann - for me it's arthritis under my kneecaps. It's been happening to me since I was a teen, and now I am 37.
    I am sure there are quite a few reasons that could happen -I hope it's nothing serious!

Kris

Han shot first!

What the hey - virtual 5K 2/3/13 44:39
    Fort Vancouver 10K 3/3/13 1:34:57
    Bridge to Brews 10K 4/7/13 1:31:53

2013 Race Goals:
    Walk a 1/2 marathon 5/19/13
    Walk a full marathon 10/06/13

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Snap, crackle, pop.

I heard it has to do with the cartilage in between the joints. As we age it wears down. As it wears down there is nothing to soften the joints as they move. I could be totally wrong.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a coach in college tell me it could be as innocent as small gas/air bubbles that form when you have been inactive or just sitting for a long period of time.

If there's no pain or swelling, it may just mean you need to pump up your activity level some.

Dorothy

Deep down, I'm pretty superficial

Thanks for all your responses. I guess I could have tried to look it up but you guys always have much more interesting answers to my questions. LOL!

I like the idea of the MRI. I had to take Valium to get an MRI and Valium is some good stuff!!!!

I guess as long as it doesn't hurt, I'll just not worry about it. Maybe I should start taking glucosamine. I can add that to the fish oil I just started taking for depression. I'm becoming a pill popper!
    Jo Ann