Discussion Boards

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hypothyroidism and Nutrisystem, does it work?

I was curious to know, has anyone NOT lost weight on Nutrisystem? What is the effect for those with hypothyroidism? My blood work showed it but I traveled sooo much with my job that I never had the chance to go get more blood work done, should I be taking meds if so, will I have a problem loosing weight on this program once I start Monday if I do have a thyroid problem and I am NOT taking anything for it? Cuious to know.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are hypothyroid you should be on medication. Don't mess around. I am hypothyroid and have been on Synthroid for 13 years (of course, the dosage has changed several times over the years)...Weight has always been an issue for me, especially the past 15 years...Well, not the past 6 months...I started Nutrisystem almost 6 months ago and I have lost almost 60 pounds! I LOVE NS! I know that my body needs low-glycemic foods like I have been eating. This program rocks!

Being hypothyroid is much more than having trouble losing weight...Your thyroid affects many of the systems in your body. You really need to take the medication every day as prescribed by your doctor and follow up with the necessary bloodwork to ensure you are on track...

Good luck to you and welcome to NS!

Like 1 Time in 1 Post

You do need to be on med for hypothyroidism. If not the symptoms get worse and can lead to more diseases, However, you will lose weight on NS even if not on medication for your problem. It will be harder and slower however. I am hypothyroid as well and put off my treatment at times because of the expense of blood work repeatedly. Mine is very difficult to control now.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been on medication for about 5 years now and have been losing steadily since starting in November. Of course not being on medication if you need it might cause you problems. I would talk to your Doctor.

Diana

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have started thyroid late last spring. It was simply nearly impossible to lose weight withiut the meds, I was tired and irritable. Reading the research, I have since found out that untreated hypothyroid is also a Major Risk Factor for developing Heart disease, diabetes, sleep apnea, and a host of other problems! I would encourage you to get treated - get the meds if your doc has proscribed them. All the Synthoid does is replace naturally occuring thyroid hormones that your body has decreased or stopped producing - it is not adding more, odd chemicals to your body! Until I was put on meds, I had not tested as needing it, but felt that I was getting tired faster, my activity level had dropped over several years, and my blood work showed changes, just not yet 'clinical' yet. I finally got to such a low point that my bloodwork showed clinical need for thyroid meds and it has helped. I wish the MD had not waited to a 'clinically significant' level, as it seems to me that the changes I was feeling, along with a clear trend in the level of my bloodwork should have been significant enough - what is normal for one person is not necessarily normal for another. I believe that I likely would not have gained that extra 35# over several years had I been able to get on meds when my blood levels began to change and symptoms first started, esp. since I was already somewhat overweight! It took me a few weeks after the meds started to get feeling more energy, better moods and such; I think it was just re-alighnment time, and now after several months I am finally in a place that I am feeling motivated and starting to lose weight. Since then I have lost 16#, not much, but it is a start, given no loss and slow gains for 10 or so years before that.
    That's just my perspective on that - yours may be different, but really, check out the info on what untreated hypothyroidism can do to you - it's dangerous not to treat, especially if a person has reached the level where meds are deemed appropriate!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

The last time I went to the doc he said I did not seem like I was hypothyroidism but my blood work was over the mark by a few points and wanted to retest, I have not had the chance to take off work since my job requires me to not be in town quite often.

I will have to schedule for my blood work now sometime in January/February and then go from there.

I have been tired lately since my job has been on my mind during my rest times than anything else.

I feel as though I put on weight without even eating, I have a very small appetite, try WW points were too much food and lost weight now weighted in and gained my loss back.

Doctor here I come....

Thanks everyone for your advice!