Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Can you have a glass of wine while on NutriSystem?

Getting ready to start this new diet - but I have to ask - will a glass of wine or two during the week or on the weekend just totally be a bust? anyone have any experiencing with an occational glass of wine on this diet? thanks

Like 278 Times in 203 Posts

Sure you can have a glass or 2, your not in jail, BUT don't complain if you don't lose much that week. Wine is empty calories and sugar. Be sure 1 glass doesn't lower your resistance to more and more. Try without it.

73 years young, joined at age 66, October '06.
    Always trying to lose more. I eat NS about 50% now.
    GOAL reached, 170 -50 8/2007 first 10 months (40 weeks)

Like 20 Times in 13 Posts

I occasionally have a glass of wine, but I try to limit it to special occasions only. For me, wine does seem to slow my weight loss, so I choose to limit it. It's a personal choice each person has to make -- if you don't mind the consequence (slower weight loss) then go for it. If you do mind, then choose only to drink when the occasion makes it worthwhile. Either way, you really shouldn't have more than one or two glasses, at the most.

Also be aware that for many, alcohol makes it harder to resist the temptation to eat foods that are not on-plan, so factor that into your decision. It may not be a problem for you, but it is for many of us.
    Pam
    Onward & Downward
    Starting Weight: 1/7: 146.4; 1/13: 145.6;1/20: 144.8; Ending Wt. Goal: 140

Like 156 Times in 123 Posts

There is no doubt that it will slow down your weight loss, but the worst part is it tends to lower your willpower and you may find your face in the 'fridge or pantry looking for the things that got you here to begin with.

There is a reason I know this
    Rick

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to be an every day drinker, which is what caused my weight gain. Today is my 7th day on nutrisystem and i had ONE glass of wine yesterday and managed to lose 4.6 pounds in one week. I am definitely not going back to my old ways of drinking, but dont beat yourself up if you enjoy one, once a week.

Like 211 Times in 67 Posts

Mary Gregg, the NutriSystem dietitian, had this answer regarding alcohol consumption:

This is a personal decision based on how well you are losing weight and how important that drink is to you. If you are just starting, it is wise to wait until you see what your weekly weight loss is like. If you are losing well, an occasional light beer or one glass of wine should not hurt you. Keep in mind that alcohol does cause fluid retention. Limiting it to special occasions is a good idea.

Mary G.

This was in answer to someone who asked multiple times if she could continue to drink wine everyday:

From your previous post, it sounds to me like you really, really want your wine. Everybody just gave some good advice. My suggestion to you is since you are on our program, try limiting the wine for a special occasion instead of having it every single day. Our women’s meal plan is 1200 calories. You do not want to substitute wine for anything since wine does does not give you the essential nutrients and vitamins that you would get from other foods. It is very important to add in your dairy/protein, fruit and vegetables.

You will need to consume 3500 calories less in order to lose one pound of fat. On this program, an average weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week which is a healthy weight lose. If you decide to drink wine every day, you will be consuming more than 1200 calories and your weight loss might be slower.

This is what the Dietitian has also said in the past about alcohol consumption:

We do not encourage individuals to consume alcohol on the program; however, we do understand that many people drink it occasionally for social reasons. If you do choose to consume it, we recommend that it be consumed in small amounts and in moderation. Alcohol can leave you feeling dehydrated and can really add up in calories which can ultimately affect your weight loss.

This is a personal decision based on how well you are losing weight and how important that drink is to you. Since you are just starting, it is wise to wait until you see what your weekly weight loss is like. If you are losing well, an occasional glass of red or white wine should not hurt you. Keep in mind that alcohol does cause fluid retention.

Like 371 Times in 273 Posts

There are some diet plans that strictly prohibit alcohol. This plan does not, though they caution against it for the reasons already mentioned. A glass of wine is 100 caloiries or so and does not contribute to your balanced diet as outlined by the plan.

I have not given up my glass of wine and I lost the weight. But I cut back considerable and am still very careful to limit my drinking.
    ~~AT~~
    Maintaining my weight loss since July 2009!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile Beer

I like my beer. I won't give it up.

Like 3,670 Times in 2,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRRdal10 View Post
    I like my beer. I won't give it up.
    That's OK. But be prepared to have a slower weight loss rate than you would if you avoided the empty calories that come with alcohol.

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I plan to limit drinking, but I want this to be a plan I can stick to for life and part of my social life is happy hour. Today I figured out that I can eat a grilled chicken sandwich, hold the mayo, with lettuce, onion, and avocado and a side of fruit when out with my friends - all foods that fit within plan in the right amounts. I might just drink diet coke while I'm there, but if I have one drink out with my friends once a week or every other week, if it does slow my weight loss I feel that is an acceptable trade off to keep that social part of my life.

If my lifestyle changes at some point and I don't go to happy hours anymore, I doubt I'd drink. I certainly won't be on the boards whining about the plan not working because I didn't lose as much weight if I know I've had a drink though. :-)