Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Gaining Weight on Nutrisystem

I have been on nutrisystem for 5 days and have been beyond compliant. I have been so strict and not cheated even once. After 5 days I got on the scale only to find out I gained 1.2 pounds. I had tears in my eyes. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal?

I also am very constipated and bloated, not to get too personal, but I'm very disappointed right now. I expected to feel so good and I don't

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

It sometimes takes a short while for your body to get use to this new healthy way of living. For myself I never ate enough and would go too many hours in between. When I first started I think my body held onto every ounce of food until it realized I would indeed feed it every 3 hours
    Hang in there, give yourself sometime to adjust and continue to work the program 100%. Some start the program and did not lose for the first few weeks and went on to have big weight lose. NS is a great program, try to be patient and consider calling a counselor and go over your daily meal planner. In the beginning sometimes we think we are following exactly only to find out something needs to be tweaked.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you called a counselor to discuss your plan? Now would be a good time to do so to make absolutely sure that you're on plan. Are you measuring out your portions? Did you take your measurements?

All of our bodies are different and we lose weight at different rates. I lost a steady 1-1.5 lbs a week. Other members report large losses in the first two weeks and then things slow down. Still others didn't lose at al for a week or two (or in some cases three!) and then the weight started coming off. It really depend on your metabolism and your pre-NS diet.

Hang in there. It does work. It doesn't work the same way or at the same time for everyone, but it does work.

Like 36 Times in 32 Posts

I understand your frustration. We are an instant gratification society and we really like to see fast results for our efforts. We are all individuals so how we lose weight varies according to our height, body type, past eating habits, water intake, and past diet attempts. It is a reality for some that the body just doesn't like to cooperate but once it realizes there is a new way of eating and it won't be starving, then it cooperates.

You just need to stay focused on the program, perhaps increasing your water intake. Water has a way of getting rid of the bloat when the body realizes that there is a guaranteed supply of water coming; there is no longer any need to hold on to it. The bloating often happens when the body experiences increased fiber far beyond which it has seen in the past.
    ------
    "If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one."-Dolly Parton
    Link to my NS Member Spotlight as winner of the "My Page" contest: http://tinyurl.com/4yvtkw4

Want to save on your first order? Returning to Nutrisystem after not being a customer for three months? I would love to save you $30.00. Please send me a PM or email me at jmiller1948@frontier.com.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trust the program. It will work, assuming there are no medical/ pharmaceutical issues. Make sure to drink your water and eat everything you're supposed to. Like others have said, some bodies need a 2-3 week adjustment period. Even though you may weigh in every day, only count your weekly weigh-in. A lot of the day to day fluctuation is due to water shifting, so don't get discouraged by that.

Also, make sure you are exercising. If you are not, start slowly and build it up.

Good luck! You'll do fine.

Chuck

Start date: 1/10/2011 [In 29th wk]
    Start wt: 295
    Goal wt: 180
    Current wt: 190
    Wt lost: 105 lbs

Long term goals:
    50 lbs lost by June. Achieved March 18, 2011
    100 lbs by December, 2011. Achieved July 4, 2011
    Short term goals:
    Pounds lost > pounds to go. Achieved April 4, 2011

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongirl17 View Post
    I have been on nutrisystem for 5 days and have been beyond compliant. I have been so strict and not cheated even once. After 5 days I got on the scale only to find out I gained 1.2 pounds. I had tears in my eyes. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal?

I also am very constipated and bloated, not to get too personal, but I'm very disappointed right now. I expected to feel so good and I don't
    Weight loss is different for everyone (I actually lost but heard of others gaining a pound or two.) I think everyone has experienced the bloating and constipation. I eat prunes or drink the Nutrisystem Flavorfulls drink mix ... either the Iced Tea or the Lemonade with my dinner and that seemed to work for me (it is 15 calories a glass). There is also Phillips Pro-Biotic capsules available at the drugstore (I got it at CVS). As others have suggested, speak to a counselor and go over what your daily routine with them to see if there is something you should "tweek".

I can tell you the program does work from personal experience. As of last weekend, I have lost 84 pounds and I do feel great! I have been on the program since Mid-april. Don't worry, you will get to your goal!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bostongirl
    I am on day 6 and noticing the scale going in the opposite direction as well. Yesterday I was 2 full pounds lighter than today. I'm going to heed the advice of others and stick with it, though I share your frustration!!

Like 1,733 Times in 990 Posts

Take your measurements and "before" photos so you don't focus on the scale. If the scale numbers affect your mood, then don't weigh yourself more than 2x month. The program works if you stick with it.
    Christie Miller
    Healthy Living Architect
    Click --> to connect on FB

I'm a Nutrisystem success story. I do not work for the company. Contact Nutrisystem for official information.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe I was retaining...material...from being a little constipated at 1st, but everything worked out! Prunes, lots of water, and NutriFlakes or Shredded Wheat.

CEO of ME, Inc.
    Highest 375/NS start 270/current 249/Goal 145

*He leadeth me.*

Now when I have intense feelings, I voice them aloud & I breathe...I used to handle them with food. Overeating to manage feelings actually harms me.
    I'm developing my new normal. The old normal wasn't working.
    I never said it would be easy; I only said it would be worth it.
    I couldn't afford to keep playing around with obesity; I had to grow up & take charge of my life.
    >ARE YOU READY TO PLACE YOUR 1ST ORDER...OR HAVEN'T ORDERED IN OVER 3 MONTHS? EMAIL ME AT katiebkool@gmail.com FOR A $30 COUPON!!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 603Leslie603 View Post
    Bostongirl
    I am on day 6 and noticing the scale going in the opposite direction as well. Yesterday I was 2 full pounds lighter than today. I'm going to heed the advice of others and stick with it, though I share your frustration!!
    One of the other senior members said this when I first started ... weight gain did not happen overnight so don't expect it to come off overnight. Even if you do not lose any weight on a given week keep with it ... you will be surprised at how well this works.

There are a lot of factors that will cause the scale to go the wrong way (other than not being careful about measuring, not drinking enough water), water retention, medications or not getting enough sleep. I weigh myself before I eat first thing in the morning w/o clothing and only once a week because your weight can fluctuate day to day even if you are sticking with NS 100%. I actually kicked the scale across the room once.

Last edited by wifeypie; 02-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.