Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Nutrisystem Meals Shelf Life

I purchased a four-month Nutrisystem meal delivery plan from QVC back in March 2009, with the first box arriving in April. However, I never started the plan and I still have the four boxes of meals! I do know each product is date stamped and most, if not all of the food I have on stock has expired (that is, according to the dates on each item). The QVC presentation mentioned that a "soft canning process" is used to package the food. Therefore, like everything else that is "canned" it's usually still edible long after the expiration date. However, before I toss good money out the door, I'd like to know how long the food can really last before it's deemed unedible and it needs to be tossed out, as I would now like to start the program and use the stock I have on hand -- that is, if it's not going to make me sick, or worst -- kill me. Anyone out there have experience with expired meals?

Like 5 Times in 4 Posts

I just ate a chicken patty- I made a burger out of it.
    I ordered it in 2008 and so far I am not sick... wait!! ACK

Arghhhhhhhhh

Sputter

Nah, I am good. I think you should be able to smell or see if it was off but, if you aren't comfortable it is better to toss it than be sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by keepinitrealincali View Post
    I purchased a four-month Nutrisystem meal delivery plan from QVC back in March 2009, with the first box arriving in April. However, I never started the plan and I still have the four boxes of meals! I do know each product is date stamped and most, if not all of the food I have on stock has expired (that is, according to the dates on each item). The QVC presentation mentioned that a "soft canning process" is used to package the food. Therefore, like everything else that is "canned" it's usually still edible long after the expiration date. However, before I toss good money out the door, I'd like to know how long the food can really last before it's deemed unedible and it needs to be tossed out, as I would now like to start the program and use the stock I have on hand -- that is, if it's not going to make me sick, or worst -- kill me. Anyone out there have experience with expired meals?
    -Kelly
    UGH.. Weight gain found me.... back to being 100%!!
    Don't be a fackwagger Nickdibbit Turfdiddle Crawdonker!!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

The average shelf live is something like a year, but some are shorter or longer than that, I would call or email NS to get a list of their shelf lives.

Like 7 Times in 1 Post

Mama always taught me : "when in doubt, throw it out".
    NOTHING is worth your health.

Email me at: blondeseashell@yahoo.com for a buddy bucks discount of $30.00 off your first order.

Banned
    Realm of Minerva & the Catcher of Gold in the Foothills of Southern California
    Like 184 Times in 124 Posts

Some things like the soy chips become pretty rancid tasting, so not really edible, and the pastries will eventually get hard as a rock, but they can be softened up in the microwave with a damp paper towel. Keep in mind, however, that though they may become stale and lose some nutrients, they will NOT become toxic.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm inclined to think the food has a longer shelf life than printed on the package. I did call NS about a year ago and was told the cookies and muffins in my box had a life of about 9 months, whereas the mac-n-cheese was 18 months! This stuff is chocked full of preservatives, and although the cookies and muffins may no longer be considered fresh, they've been in an airtight wrapper and more than likely are still very much edible. Now, as for the dehydrated soups in my box -- you know they will last forever.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mokey56001 View Post
    The average shelf live is something like a year, but some are shorter or longer than that, I would call or email NS to get a list of their shelf lives.
    I think that's a great idea. Thanks!

Banned
    Realm of Minerva & the Catcher of Gold in the Foothills of Southern California
    Like 184 Times in 124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mokey56001 View Post
    Or you can just eat them. If you end up in the ER, they may have been too old. Seriously, even if they are old, they won't KILL anybody.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still eat my beef tacos and they were made in 2008, but at this point I can definitely tell they are older. The tortillas are pretty stale. It used to be my absolute favourite entree but I think as a result I'm eating way fewer of them- used to be 2x a week and now maybe 2x a month.

I don't think I'd want to eat 4 months of food that is that far gone, personally. I'd write it off.

Signed up for Nutrisystem February 1, 2010.
    First goal weight of 165 lbs achieved April 10, 2011.

Looking forward to rocking a bikini!

Like 6 Times in 2 Posts

I would say the breakfast pastires and desserts may be stale. If they smell or taste funny, you'll know.

The other items are probably fine. I know my DH has eaten some of my food that was older than that.

Welcome back! Post often! Stay 100% so you can get thru that food in 4 months and order some of the new, even yummier, stuff!
    79.8 total pounds down so far.

Final push to goal, 10 pounds at a time.