Discussion Boards

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Atkins vs Nutrisystems

I have a friend who has been on The Atkins diet for 6 mo or so, She is bored with the food and weight loss has stalled, she has been asking me about switching to NS, but Im afraid with the carb increase she might actually gain weight. What do ya'll think.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

On Atkins, after the initial phase (if memory serves me), you begin to introduce lower GI carbs (veggie and some fruits) so it may not be as big a transition as she thinks. I know on Atkins, it's no holds barred on the full fat foods so that may be a bit of a shock on her system. When I was on Atkins, years ago, I lost over 60 lbs but always felt like something just wasn't right. Eating all that full fat stuff seems counterintuitive to me. Bananas were a downright sin!

I'm sure she'll have a period of time for her body to adjust to the healthier eating on NS but if she's willing to do that and possibly see a small upswing on the scale, it will definitely pay off in the end. Good luck to her!

Finally dusted off my elliptical machine, formerly known as a "clothes hanger"... 20 minutes done!

***Countdown to One-derland is underway... I made it! 5/14/11!***

Like 93 Times in 81 Posts

Hi ronni,
    It's possible that she may gain some water weight the first week or two as she adjusts to a higher carbohydrate intake. Please tell her to be patient; she should soon start to see weight loss. She will be getting more variety in her diet, and of course fruit and grains are sources of important nutrients.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having been on both diets and having lost weight on both diets, the difference to me is that NS makes me actually feel healthy. I felt like, I don't know, like a beer-swilling frat boy when I was on Atkins -- I was losing weight, but my body felt awful. I didn't feel like I was becoming healthy at all; I just felt like I was shedding pounds, which wasn't my goal. For me, that change alone was worth the switch to NS.

Is she going to gain weight initially if she switches from Atkins to NS? Almost certainly. I've never gained back my dieting weight so quickly as I did with Atkins -- as soon as I touched a carb, I gained weight. Would I recommend it anyway? Absolutely. If she can deal with watching the scale go up for a week or two without losing faith in the diet, I think NS would definitely be an option for her. Oddly, despite the fact that my meals come out of a box now, I feel much more like I'm in the food "real world" instead of that strange dieting twilight zone. Even though I technically had more control over my diet on Atkins, I feel much more competent and capable of sticking with the plan on NS. I feel like the NS changes are actually going to LAST, whereas I was on Atkins to lose weight, not to learn how to be healthy.

Goal:
    Once I feel that I'm at an appropriate weight for my body shape, I will allow myself to get the adorable pixie cut that I've always wanted. (I was always too fat to have super-short hair, because it would make me look overly masculine). I will then dye that newly-short hair an exciting and self-congratulatory color.

Like 4 Times in 3 Posts

Done Atkins- not a safe diet.
    Did South Beach- better
    NS is much more balenced and easier to continue on maintenance.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

What I do with this day is important because I have exchanged a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, today will be gone forever. I hope I will not regret the price I paid for it.
    (from Sam.H)

THELMA AND LOUISE

----------------------

pers
    personal mini goal for June- 130 miles

Like 77 Times in 51 Posts

I've done Atkins several times. It works at first (a lot of the weight lost is water weight) but for me was impossible to stay on. Agree wtih others that it felt unhealthy. I'm losing way more on Nutrisystem and feel I can continue this way of eating for the long haul. Encourage your friend to switch to NS.

Reggie

Like 8 Times in 7 Posts

Like so many others, I have yo-yo'd with Atkins for years. It's a great way to lose weight and, if you do it right, you can end up on an eating plan very similar to Nutrisystem. However, I've never been able to do it successfully (OWL and Maintenance).

She should switch but not discount the mental shift it will require. I have to constantly remind myself (and my husband) that 1, 2 or even 0 weight loss a week will be a good thing - she won't get the quick results starting NS that she gets on Atkins.

But the joy in the little things! After years of not eating oranges, bananas and carrots, I'm in heaven and feel like I'm eating healthily.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you guys for the response. I agree about NS just feeling healthier. But I do think she will see a few pounds of weight gain. But the variety and over all feeling good will be worth it. Thanks again.