Discussion Boards

Like 123 Times in 104 Posts

Default Could salads cause constipation???

I lost 80 pounds on NS several years ago and have tried to stick with the meal plan for maintenance. One of the good habits I developed from NS is eating a salad with lunch every day. But a couple weeks ago I ran out of salad stuff and just didn't get to the store for about a week to get more. Intead of my usual salad, I was having a sandwich with whole grain bread. I've always had constipation problems. But during the week I was out of salads, I started "going" regular. But then when I got salad stuff again, I got constipated again. I would never have thought of salad as being the cause of constipation. I thought it would actually help. All I have in my salads is lettuce, tomatoe, cucumber and a little low fat ranch dressing. Could the salads be causing the constipation???
    Jo Ann

Like 90 Times in 78 Posts

Hi Eliza_Doo_Little,
    If you have have a history of constipation it may be that you are sensitive to the additional fiber provided by the salad.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

or it could be that the sandwich was helping- not that the salads hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Queen View Post
    or it could be that the sandwich was helping- not that the salads hurt.
    Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. I might have to deviate from the NS plan and start having a sammich every day! I'm pretty hooked on my salads. Finally I have a healthy addiction!
    Jo Ann

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yay for healthy addictions!! haha

Like 33 Times in 23 Posts

Maybe have the lunch salad AND the whole grain bread? Use the bread as part of your lunch "entree"...could be the carbs helped you, um, go.
    -tess

Like 4,928 Times in 2,979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza_Doo_Little View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. I might have to deviate from the NS plan and start having a sammich every day! I'm pretty hooked on my salads. Finally I have a healthy addiction!
    Having a sammy at lunch doesn't deviate from the NS plan. You are getting healthy protein and a low GI carb. But I'd still have some salad or fruit. If this is a deviation from the NS plan, then I deviate almost every day!

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Here's a good laugh for y'all. I actually did have a salad with the sammich because I was trying to convince my brain that I was munching on tater chips. Even after doing NS, I still had this thing in my brain that said you MUST have chips with a sandwich! Trying to reprogram. LOL!
    Jo Ann