Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like 222 Times in 69 Posts

Default Share Your Secrets: Why are YOU Never Hungry on NutriSystem

I have been responding to quite a few posts lately where the member is STARVING and wondering how to cope. It got me to thinking: Why have I never been hungry in the 70 months that I've been following the NutriSystem "way"...and, I did say never been hungry, not once.

Here is what I came up with:

1. I follow the plan 100%, no deviations.

2. I eat something every 3-4 hours without fail, starting with a protein-rich breakfast within an hour of awakening.

3. I max out my proteins to 9g-20g per serving.

4. I only choose Low GI Carbs.

5. I never eat a fruit serving by itself (always paired with a protein source).

6. I drink an ocean of water.

7. I gave up all alcohol and the subsequent blood sugar issues and munchies-attacks disappeared.

8 I eat so many vegetables that I could be planted in fertile soul and I would grow like a plant.

9. I mastered huge salads before Poly was even born.

The feeling of never being hungry or shaky has been even better than the 105 pound loss, honestly.

What about YOU? Can you share tips for the newbies (and not so newbies) about what keeps you from STARVING while losing and maintaining your loss?

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great post. I think you have covered all the "secrets". Put together they definitely make a difference.

Definitely eating every few hours helps. When I was kid I had problems with getting shaky and then having to eat something, anything, quickly to get over that shaky feeling. That was because meals and snacks were so far in between. Even before NS I figured out I HAVE to eat many times a day to avoid this. I NEVER get shaky anymore.

I am learning to max out my proteins better too. I switched regular ff yogurt for greek ff yogurt that has about the same amount of calories and fat but has 13 g of protein instead of only 4 g.

I eat so much salad and veggies I'm tired of eating and don't need to have more from cravings or hunger.

Last edited by mnire; 11-10-2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Erin

Go Team Red!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Such a great thread idea! Can't wait to read what everyone has to say.

Yes to all of your list, Pam, especially the protein rich breakfast and huge salad and veg portions.

Also, learning to identify the difference between what true hunger vs. "munchies" really feels like helps a lot.

I have given up my occasional evening wine and am exploring Celestial Seasoning teas to help that evening stretch before bed time. The limited edition seasonal flavors, esp. Candycane Lane are great!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just echoing... eating often is the best trick, staying hydrated, and maxing out my proteins. Retrain yourself, work better habits. None of us are perfect (from my perspective) strive to do better, consistency trumps...

I do get hungry, sometimes it's exercise, sometimes it's emotion or just hungry. Identifying triggers for ourselves can help us to find solutions.

118/132-135 new target ( 5' 8" )
    NS 2008 (-40 lbs) 2011 (-25 lbs)

Like 4 Times in 2 Posts

For me, the STARVING isn't actually starving. It's CRAVING. Sometimes I just want to eat CRAP! Once I remind myself that, it goes away.

A cup of tea will also help.

Or a walk. Doing anything that gets my mind off my false hunger until I forget about it.

Another "trick" is when you're STARVING, if an unlimited vegetable doesn't sound good, you aren't STARVING. Mom was right...or in my case, dad...if you get hungry enough, you'll eat it!

Like 79 Times in 69 Posts

Great posts -- I love how you found huge salads before Poly was born!

I agree with everything you posted -- I tend to go the veggies route cause I hate being deprived -- and I can pretty much eat as much salad and vegetables as I want -- and upping the protein does help keep you fuller longer, and protein's pretty important.

Caye

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

My staples are: water, mio for the water, baby carrots, brussel sprouts, and Morningstar spicy black bean burgers (no bun of course). These are what keeps me from going hungry almost daily!!

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.

Visit my blog - Redefining Lisa One Step at a Time

***BL15 Winner!! 10.66% loss***

2012 Races
    3/10/12 March Mad Dash 5K - time 41.34.5 pace 13.25
    4/7/12 Alpha Fitness Highway to Health 5K - time 41.09 pace 13.08

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

All really good tips !
    Mine is staying busy !
    I find that the few times I have gotten hungrey on the plan is when I am bored. When the day zips by and I stay really busy, I find that before I know it , its dinner time then desert time.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pam great post as usual!
    I can't eat a lot of lettuce due to digestive issues so I love roasted veggies. Roast a big pan and keep around when the munchies hit. Different seasonings depend on the mood. Saute a bunch too!

Eating every few hours is also key. Water, water, water....

Like 1,610 Times in 918 Posts

I eat all day long. If I'm not eating, I am drinking plain, cold water. If I'm not eating or drinking, it's because I'm working out. And then, I just keep eating. I almost always choose protein over dairy. I drink over 100 ounces of water each day. This program is awesome!

When I get hungry, it is just normal run of the mill hunger - never STARVING as in the old days.
    Christie
    Living healthy and sunny at 49.
    Click --> to become FB friends.

I'm a Nutrisystem success story. I do not work for the company. Contact Nutrisystem for official information.