Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like 71 Times in 35 Posts

Default Baked Butternut Squash with Apple and Cranberries

Baked Butternut Squash with Apple and Cranberries

This is something you could easily serve to guests, but it works for NS too. The combination of the Becel 64% less margarine and Ideal brown sugar substitute surprised me and comes out like a caramel sauce. The picture below is 4 servings with the caramel sauce all hiding at the bottom.

Makes 4 servings each counts as NS Success: 1.5 Smartcarb + 1 extra; NS Advanced: 2 veggies + 1/2 fruit + 1/2 fat + 1 extra

Ingredients:

3 cups (420g) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
    1/2 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
    1 medium tart apple (e.g. Granny Smith), sliced
    1/4 cup Ideal brown sugar substitute
    1/4 cup Becel "64% less"
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp nutmeg

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Slice and peel squash and apples.

2. Put squash cubes in ungreased 8"x8" baking dish. Place apples and cranberries on top. Mix the salt, sugar and nutmeg and sprinkle over the top. Dot with Becel. Bake uncovered 50 to 60 minutes.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another great one!

Where do you find ideal brown sugar? Is it less calories than Splenda brown sugar?

Erin

Go Team Red!

Quote Originally Posted by mnire View Post
    Another great one!

Where do you find ideal brown sugar? Is it less calories than Splenda brown sugar?
    I get Ideal brown sugar online from the Low Carb Grocery at http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com (Canadian). I have not seen it in the grocery stores or health food stores where I live. Unfortunately, it is more expensive than Splenda brown.

Yes, Ideal brown is less calories than Splenda Brown.

Ideal brown sugar substitute is 288 cal per cup which measures like brown sugar. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend is a 50:50 blend of sucralose and brown sugar and is 960 cal per cup. But, it's sweeter than brown sugar so 1/2 cup (480 cal) of Splenda brown is equivalent to 1 cup of Ideal brown. For comparison, a packed cup of brown sugar is 829 cal.

Like 748 Times in 386 Posts

It appears that Netrition.com carries the Ideal brown sugar (but is out of stock at the moment)
    CyberSally

Maintaining at 20+ pounds below goal since 2009!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the website, Peter. Great to have a good place to go for Canadians to get low carb and cal options. I see they have WF products too.

Erin

Go Team Red!

Quote Originally Posted by mnire View Post
    Thanks for the website, Peter. Great to have a good place to go for Canadians to get low carb and cal options. I see they have WF products too.
    Here's another if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca

Like 748 Times in 386 Posts

I had never heard of Becel margarine so Googled it, and according to their website they are Promise margarine in the US. I have not in the past seen a version of Promise that was that low in calories, but haven't looked in a long time, so will take another look.
    CyberSally

Maintaining at 20+ pounds below goal since 2009!

Like 1,204 Times in 779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberSally View Post
    I had never heard of Becel margarine so Googled it, and according to their website they are Promise margarine in the US. I have not in the past seen a version of Promise that was that low in calories, but haven't looked in a long time, so will take another look.
    I haven't either, cyberSally. Perhaps it loses calories across the border.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberSally View Post
    I didn't realize Becel wasn't available in the US. Here's a link to the product information for Becel "64% less" - http://www.becel.ca/en_ca/products/64_percent_less.aspx. It is 25 cal with 2.5g fat for 2 tsp. Note that the ingredients say it is 68% water.

I see that Promise has something called Promise Fat Free Spread. This must be something different because it is 5 cal with 0g fat for 1 tsp. They also have Promise Light Spread which is 45 cal with 5g fat for 1 tbsp, or 30 cal with 2.7g fat for 2 tsp. It sounds like the Promise Light Spread is the closest match.

I was curious about why there is no equivalent to Promise Fat Free Spread in Canada. So I did a little Googling. It looks like Promise Fat Free Spread involves some creative nutrition labeling that I don't think is allowed in Canada. Here's the link - http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/labels1.html. The preceding link is not what I would normally consider a reliable source. But the next one is. Here's a link to a scientific paper published by the World Health Organization - http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecf...no/v05je44.htm.

Ingredients for Promise Fat Free Spread are listed as: water, vegetable mono and diglycerides, rice starch, salt, gelatin, lactose (milk), vegetable datem, coloring, (potassium sorbate, calcium disodium EDTA) used to protect quality, soy lecithin, lactic acid, natural and artificial flavors, vitamin E, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (for color).

Personally, I don't think I would use their Fat Free Spread if it was available in Canada.

Ingredients for Promise Light Spread are listed as: water, vegetable oil blend (liquid soybean oil, canola oil, palm oil, palm kernel oil), whey (milk), salt, gelatin, vegetable mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, (potassium sorbate, calcium disodium EDTA) used to protect quality, lactic acid, vitamin E acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), artificial flavor, maltodextrin (corn), vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color), cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12).

Ingredients for Becel 64% Less are listed as: water 68%, canola and sunflower oils 24%, gelatin 3.0%, modified palm and palm kernel oils 3%, salt 1.5%, rice starch 1%, vegetable monoglycerides 0.4%, potassium sorbate 0.1%, lactic acid, artificial flavour, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene, citric acid, vitamin D3, alpha-tocopherol acetate (vitamin E).