Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Like 1,500 Times in 864 Posts

Default Comparison Chart (Advanced vs. Success)

With the recent change from Advanced to Success, I thought it would be helpful to put together a thread of information about the old and new plans. I created this chart will help me understand the Success plan and how it differs from the old Advanced plan:

Note: You can spread your veggies out throughout the day. When I made this chart for myself during the testing of Success, I kept them with lunch and dinner because that was when I ate them.

From Dietary Services:

The Success Program offers more flexibility and food choices, while still providing excellent nutrition and successful weight loss. The protein content of the program has increased to 25% of the total calories, with a reduction in the percent of calories from carbohydrates to 55% and the average fat content consistent at 20%.

SmartCarbs are a specific group of carbohydrates that are nutrient-rich and measure “low” on the Glycemic Index.These carbs are digested more slowly, keeping you feeling fuller longer while promoting good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber and other important nutrients. A Smart Carb will generally average 80-120 calories with at least 1 gram of fiber.

PowerFuels consist of high quality proteins that contain essential amino acids and healthy fats from nuts. It takes longer for your body to digest these foods, so they help you stay satisfied. PowerFuels also provide an excellent source of protein to help boost your body. A Power Fuel will generally average 80-120 calories, with at least 5 grams of protein.

Click here for the new grocery guide http://www.nutrisystem.com/pdf/Nutri...cery_Guide.pdf

Here is a handy chart to use when enjoying some flex meals in the same day as Nutrisystem meals:

[IMG]

Why Shakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    The shakes allow us to provide more to our customers. While our products provided about half of the daily calorie requirement on the Advanced program, with Success, we're providing about 65% of your calorie needs from our program. This improves our program in a few ways, first it slightly lessons the burden to our customers of finding and buying healthy grocery food additions, which in turn, makes it easier to comply with the program, and because our shakes provide as much calcium as a glass of milk, it's extra insurance that our customers are choosing foods that provide enough calcium. Additionally, the shake provides a source of high quality, complete protein which contributes to our overall program nutrition update. Our success program is not just a low-GI diet, but it is also a high protein diet (25% of calories coming from protein). High-protein diets have been shown to help control hunger better and keep more muscle as during weight loss. Because the shakes offer all of these benefits we've included them as part of the program, however, most important is that you have a program that works for you, if you prefer not to use the shakes, you can choose to continue using a powerfuel (Dairy/Protein) serving in its place instead - for the best match, look for choices that contain about 80-100 calories and closer to 10 grams of protein, ideally something that has calcium as well - a glass of low fat or fat free milk would be a good selection.

NS Shake Recipes - Come over to this thread for some great recipes using the NS protein shakes (and share your favorite recipe, too):

Eat Your Vegetables: NS recommends you consume four vegetable servings throughout the day. One vegetable serving averages 25 calories and NS uses 1 cup raw and ½ cup cooked as average portions. All non-starchy vegetables are considered unlimited on the Success Program. If you are a calorie counter, then you will need to measure and record your unlimited veggies in the food log, because unlimited veggies have calories, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dietary_Services1 View Post
    Nutrisystem offers the option of consuming as many non-starchy vegetables as needed to satisfy hunger and enhance the meal plan. These vegetables offer a healthier alternative to other foods that someone might select if overly hungry.

Vegetables are high in fiber and water content, and they should not impede weight loss. However, there is potential to increase calories to the point of no weight loss, although not likely. As long as you are losing weight to your satisfaction, there is no concern. If someone is not losing weight, then a review of the foods and total number of calories consumed is appropriate.

Calories. The Success plan averages 1,250 per day for women and 1,500 for men. Even if you are eating unlimited veggies, these have calories and you should be aware of them. At the end of the day, it's still calories in/calories out.

Over 100 pounds to lose? If you have over 100 lbs to lose, add one SmartCarb to your breakfast and one PowerFuel to your lunch everyday.

Extra Calories when Exercising Vigorously. If your workouts are very intensive or exceed an hour for any workout days it is possible that you might need to add some extra calories. To determine if you do need some extra calories ask yourself if you are experiencing any of the following: hunger, drop in energy levels, light headedness or dizziness, headaches. If not you may still be fine based on the duration and intensity level of your workouts. If you find that you are having some problems then you might want to add some extra calories only on the days of your workouts. Here is what NS suggests:

For Cardio: If you are doing cardio and need more energy, a snack in the form of a Powerfuel serving (approximately 100-200 calories and preferably something that also has some carb content to it as well, e.g. yogurt, etc). This can be consumed before or after the workout depending on your preference.

For Weight Training: If you are doing weight training building muscle, a snack in the form of strictly protein (meat, vegetable proteins, certain protein shakes are an acceptable choice), approximately 100-200 calories. This should be done following a workout.

However, situations and circumstances can be varied for different people. These guidelines might be a minimum requirement for some or a maximum for others. Our best advice is to listen to what your body is telling you. If your workouts are intensive, and if you are hungry, or feeling other symptoms such as light headedness, dizzy or weak, you are probably in need of extra calories.

NS Success Meals Nutritional Information. This information was recently posted by NS:

The Nutrisystem entrees are approximately 55-60% carbohydrates, 20-25% protein, 20-25% fat. 6% saturated fat and 30-35g fiber.

Can I move my meals around?

It is possible to move any of the meals around to satisfy your eating style. Be sure that you’re consuming the meals every few hours to keep your metabolism up. It is very important to eat everything that is called for on the meal plan so that you can be sure that you’re getting in the right amount of calories and nutrition that the body needs.

Enjoy your success and keep on losing!
    Last edited by -Kristi-; 01-03-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Updated for changes to plan
    Christie
    Living healthy and happy at 49.
    Click --> to become FB friends.

I'm a Nutrisystem success story. I do not work for the company. Contact Nutrisystem for official information.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is so helpful! Thank you! My only question - is this the same for the D plan?

This post is for people who count calories.
    There are plenty of success stories of non-counters and counters alike.
    Choose what method works for you!

I have read many posts by people who are having trouble averaging 1,250 calories per day. Remember, this is just an average - some days may be lower (but I can't imagine how) and some may be higher. It can be done, but it takes extra diligence with all the variety and choices we now have in the SmartCarbs arena.

Calories. The Success plan averages 1,250 per day for women.

SmartCarbs will generally average 80-120 calories with at least 1 gram of fiber.

PowerFuels will generally average 80-120 calories, with at least 5 grams of protein.

Vegetables NS recommends you consume four vegetable servings throughout the day. One vegetable serving averages 25 calories.

This average nutritional information of the Nutrisystem meals was recently posted by the Moderators:

Using these figures, the average of your four daily NS foods is 722 + 110 protein drink, but let's round up to 850 for simplicity. That only gives you 400 calories to spend (160 on SmartCarbs, 160 on PowerFuels and 100 on Veggies). Sounds easy enough, but we are still having problems, right? Well, today's post from Dietary Services can help out quite a bit:

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeIamFit View Post
    When choosing a PowerFuel, what is more important, the calories or the protein? Can I have 3 hard-boiled egg whites for 51 calories / 10.8 g protein? Or do I need to be at the minimum of 80 calories?
    Hello ladies,
    The 3 hard boiled egg whites that YippeIamFit suggests would be a good serving size for a powerfuel, as the amount of protein is more critical than the caloric value.

So, therein lies a secret to staying within the overall caloric guidelines! As long as you are getting a good punch of protein in your PowerFuels, you don't have to be inside the caloric range, you can be lower. And, that will give you more currency to use for "Extras" or additional unlimited vegetables if you want them.

At the end of the day, weight loss is all about calories in/calories out. Enjoy your Successful journey to weight loss!

Last edited by YippeeIamFit; 02-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    Christie

I'm a Nutrisystem success story. I do not work for the company. Contact Nutrisystem for official information.

Like 1,697 Times in 1,049 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySparkle View Post
    This is so helpful! Thank you! My only question - is this the same for the D plan?
    Yes, it is the same for the D plan. You no longer need to pair a fruit (SmartCarb) with a Dairy/Protein (PowerFuel) based on the latest thinking. If you look at the sample 7 day menus for the Diabetic and Regular women's programs, they are exactly the same.
    Send the perpetrator back to jail!

Useful links: Grocery Guide; Brand Name Shopping List; and Low Sodium Version
    ................. Sample Menus: Women; Men

“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama

This signature has just wasted approximately 2.5 seconds of your time.

Default Aim for Success, not Perfection!

We've heard it a million times, "No one is perfect!" And, yet, people are still striving for diet perfection and coming up short and disappointed. Success can be achieved in dieting, health, relationships and fitness without perfection. Many of us have lost weight on NS without an A+ grade of perfect months. In fact, there are a lot of successful maintainers who got straight B's while following the Nutrisystem plan.

Am I saying we should all cheat the system and disregard the millions of dollars of research and development behind the Nutrisystem plan? No, not at all. Strive for excellence and 100% on plan days. Sometimes 100% just isn't possible and it's as simple as that. Don't beat yourself up if you get a few B- days along the way. You can still graduate and stand upon the goal podium, even with a few failing grades along the way. Of course, it may take an extra semester or some extra credit, but you can still graduate to goal!

Don't quit! Too many people quit if they don't have perfect adherence to a diet and exercise plan. How many people have missed one workout at the gym and never go back? That's what striving for perfection can do to a person. It's is better to reach goal by slipping up a few times than to walk away defeated.

Do the best you can honestly do, but don't sell yourself short and make excuses. Be proud of your accomplishments, and enjoy your Successful journey to weight loss!
    Last edited by YippeeIamFit; 02-12-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    Christie

Like 7 Times in 3 Posts

Thank you!

What I don't understand is why NS can't have this actual information on their site? They don't print info in the planners, so it seems we have to "hunt" on the boards. I'm not a good hunter, it takes time, especially with a dial-up connection. NS is a great company....I first went back in the dark ages when you visited a center once a week. I have to say this time is much more confusing even with the internet which you'd think could have more information at our fingertips. (Have they ever seen Spark People's site? No comparison!)

So, thank you for helping us!

Like 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LindaCC7 View Post
    Thank you!

What I don't understand is why NS can't have this actual information on their site? They don't print info in the planners, so it seems we have to "hunt" on the boards. I'm not a good hunter, it takes time, especially with a dial-up connection. NS is a great company....I first went back in the dark ages when you visited a center once a week. I have to say this time is much more confusing even with the internet which you'd think could have more information at our fingertips. (Have they ever seen Spark People's site? No comparison!)

So, thank you for helping us!

Yes. Linda, this is my dissatisfaction with the company too. I would have remained a customer if I didn't have to spend ALL DAY yesterday trying to get this information. We shouldn't have to learn the program this way, but this is how they do things around here.

If a comprehensive explanation of the plan were posted on the site, I'd still be a customer. But I will not pay that much money when there are so many unanswered questions.

I'm just gonna hafta put my big girl panties on. Because these ones with the ruffles that I put on in 1968 are getting a little worn out by now.

BREAKING NEWS: Kim Jong is dead. I didn't even know he was Il. Now the young Un will take over.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeIamFit View Post
    I hope this chart will help explain the new women's program and how it differs from the old one:

SmartCarbs are a specific group of carbohydrates that are nutrient-rich and measure “low” on the Glycemic Index.These carbs are digested more slowly, keeping you feeling fuller longer while promoting good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber and other important nutrients.

From DS: A Smart Carb will generally average 80-120 calories with at least 1 gram of fiber.

PowerFuels consist of high quality proteins that contain essential amino acids and healthy fats from nuts. It takes longer for your body to digest these foods, so they help you stay satisfied. PowerFuels also provide an excellent source of protein to help boost your body.

From DS: A Power Fuel will generally average 80-120 calories, with at least 5 grams of protein.

Click here for the new grocery guide http://www.nutrisystem.com/pdf/Nutri...cery_Guide.pdf

And here is the Success Day Off Plan:

Enjoy and keep on losing!
    Thanks for the great information. I have 15lbs to go just received a new months worth of meals this weeks so if I am able to get Jan and Feb meals I may not need to get on new plan. It is still very good information to have.

DEE DEE

Start Date: 9/28/11

Post #1 Updated again to show a great comparison chart from the Mods. Yay, Mods!!!
    Christie