Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like 6 Times in 3 Posts

Unhappy Treadmill & gaining weight

Well I lost 84 lbs. and now the doc says I should be walking as I have a very bad back due to falling from a ladder and had back surgery in 1991 and have NOT excercised since I can remember..I successfully lost the weight and am very thin now..but the bone density is bad at age 53. So..heres the deal..I am past goal..very happy about that..but I have heeded to my gyn suggestions and work through the pain and walk. I am now up to 2 (15) minute sessions of walking (5 days a week) and am now up to 3.0 mph..walking about 7.5 miles a week. I am so happy to do this as I am heading for osteroposis as it runs in the family badly...so I can build this muscle and maybe even control this bone density loss..along with what I am doing for foods..I eat very healthy and eat according to NS with my own tweeks in menu..I maintain..nothing has changed..I have not increased foods..but I weighed my self this morning and after 3 weeks of walking the treadmill I now am weighing in about 129-130..I have been at 125-126 forever..should I worry? I am disturbed as I do NOT ever want to gain this weight back again..I have gained only since walking..I know they say muscle weighs more than fat..but this is weird...any suggestions out there..do I decrease my intake of foods? I eat about 1300 calories a day to maintain..I eat all the check off items for advanced..I eat plenty of protein..I drink about 120 oz of water a day..I don't eat after 7 at night..I am getting enough rest..I did notice I am restless sometimes at night where before I went to sleep and I don't move except to go to the bathroom which is often but does not disturb my sleep..there is no reason on my part as far as eating goes that I should gain anything..my son was worried I would loose more with walking..but I am weighing in heavier and I am nervous..should I stress..any suggestions? I need to walk to encourage the muscles to be stronger around my femur neck in my legs..which is where it is thinning..ok people bring on your thoughts!!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally think u are just gaining muscle which is wonderful. Last year I had a personal trainer because I was going to India and my scale only moved 15 pounds but A LOT of inches were gone. Great job on ur weight lose and maintaining. U r defiantly a role model!!!!

Like 6 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the compliment however I don't want to gain..it took so long to get where I am at now and I enjoy so much wearing smaller sizes!! I just can't understand the muscle thing..gaining weight isn't the thought I had to go with excercise..everyone says how healthy it is to walk..again..thanks for the compliment..it feels good to hear..after maintaining since 2007..it's nice to hear a pick me up!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am definitely no expert but...my thoughts: What I would do is ignore the scale for a while and use your jeans! If your small jeans fit the same (or looser!), then the scale doesn't matter! Bone and muscle are heavy, but not big. I totally understand your fear,but what you want to maintain,really, is size, not weight.

Like 71 Times in 61 Posts

Hi Emski,

I agree with Leomarie. You definitely are a role model! I know that it can be hard to see the scale increase. Surprisingly, exercise can cause the muscles to swell and retain water. Try not to get discouraged. This is common. Keep doing what you are doing. You are doing great! Congratulations on everything that you have accomplished.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emskid4 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment however I don't want to gain..it took so long to get where I am at now and I enjoy so much wearing smaller sizes!! I just can't understand the muscle thing..gaining weight isn't the thought I had to go with excercise..everyone says how healthy it is to walk..again..thanks for the compliment..it feels good to hear..after maintaining since 2007..it's nice to hear a pick me up!
    Boy do I admire you. I hope I can make it back down to your size. I hope your back problems go away and your weight stays off.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile I symphatize

Well I lost 84 lbs. and now the doc says I should be walking as I have a very bad back due to falling from a ladder and had back surgery in 1991 and have NOT excercised since I can remember..I successfully lost the weight and am very thin now..but the bone density is bad at age 53. So..heres the deal..I am past goal..very happy about that..but I have heeded to my gyn suggestions and work through the pain and walk. I am now up to 2 (15) minute sessions of walking (5 days a week) and am now up to 3.0 mph..walking about 7.5 miles a week. I am so happy to do this as I am heading for osteroposis as it runs in the family badly...so I can build this muscle and maybe even control this bone density loss..along with what I am doing for foods..I eat very healthy and eat according to NS with my own tweeks in menu..I maintain..nothing has changed..I have not increased foods..but I weighed my self this morning and after 3 weeks of walking the treadmill I now am weighing in about 129-130..I have been at 125-126 forever..should I worry? I am disturbed as I do NOT ever want to gain this weight back again..I have gained only since walking..I know they say muscle weighs more than fat..but this is weird...any suggestions out there..do I decrease my intake of foods? I eat about 1300 calories a day to maintain..I eat all the check off items for advanced..I eat plenty of protein..I drink about 120 oz of water a day..I don't eat after 7 at night..I am getting enough rest..I did notice I am restless sometimes at night where before I went to sleep and I don't move except to go to the bathroom which is often but does not disturb my sleep..there is no reason on my part as far as eating goes that I should gain anything..my son was worried I would loose more with walking..but I am weighing in heavier and I am nervous..should I stress..any suggestions? I need to walk to encourage the muscles to be stronger around my femur neck in my legs..which is where it is thinning..ok people bring on your thoughts!!
    I have worked out at our local Y for years now. I would do treadmill for 2 miles at 4.mph then do 200 repeats on the rowing machine. Not to mention being on a diet (WW at that time). Anyway I was gaining approximately 2 lbs a week and was absolutely frantic. This was about 5 years ago. Now I know I have diabetes 2. I still do the Y and am going to try ns for the 3 time. I am determined to make it work. I know how you feel regarding exercise and gaining weight. Total bummer! I think I am really going to like this group. Sounds like we have a lot of the same problems.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did you take your measurements (with a tape measure, not with a scale)? If you didn't, you should, because while MUSCLE AND FAT WEIGH THE SAME (A POUND = A POUND), muscle tissue is much denser than fat, so you will generally see the scale go up as your fitness improves, but your clothes should fit the same and your measurements should stay the same or even decrease a little.

Keep up the good work, and unless you start to feel the clothes get tight (and I'm betting you won't unless you start added extra foods), don't worry about it.

Like 1,704 Times in 1,052 Posts

Do you feel any heavier? Do your clothes fit differently? No, probably not. Stop stressing about the 3 or 4 pounds on the scale. If you have been as sedentary as you indicate, then it is possible that part of the increase is from building muscle and the rest from the muscles retaining water as they heal. Drink more water, continue to walk and exercise. Exercise needs to be your primary goal. Treadmill, strength and resistance training with light weights and bands, etc. are critical for you to reverse or thwart further bone density loss and slow down the risk of osteoporosis.

Wouldn't you rather be a healthier fitter person who weighs 5 lbs more than someone who is weak and with frail brittle bones?
    Send the perpetrator back to jail!

Useful links: Grocery Guide; Brand Name Shopping List; and Low Sodium Version
    ................. Sample Menus: Women; Men

“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama

This signature has just wasted approximately 2.5 seconds of your time.

Like 4 Times in 3 Posts

ITA-- don't worry and keep on walking.
    only been 3 weeks- it is all new to the body.
    know how easy it is tp panic- but i think it is all good.
    avoid scale, do measurements, and take good care of yourself by working out!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

What I do with this day is important because I have exchanged a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, today will be gone forever. I hope I will not regret the price I paid for it.
    (from Sam.H)

THELMA AND LOUISE

----------------------

pers
    personal mini goal for June- 130 miles