Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like 70 Times in 34 Posts

Default Strawberry Basil Balsamic Jam

Strawberry Basil Balsamic Jam

This recipe makes about 2.25 cups of jam. It will keep up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator or up to 1 year frozen. If you're freezing it, make sure you use freezer-safe containers and leave enough head space for expansion. I used Splenda in this recipe but you can substitute your sweetener of choice. Also, it's up to you how thick you want to make this. You can make a sauce (e.g., to put on ice cream or yogurt) or something thick and spreadable.

This is 7 calories per 1 tbsp. Under NS Success 1 tbsp is considered free and up to 5 tbsp counts as 1 extra. Under NS Advanced up to 3 tbsp counts as 1 extra.

Ingredients:

400g frozen unsweetened strawberries, mashed
    1 cup Splenda granulated
    2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    12 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade cut
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp Pomona's universal pectin and calcium water (or to preference)

Preparation:

You can use fresh or frozen strawberries. If using fresh strawberries, clean and hull them first and only use strawberries that are fresh ripe, not ones that have been shipped across country.

Mash the strawberries in a medium bowl. I prefer to leave some chunks of strawberry intact, but that's up to you. If you're making a sauce you can puree the strawberries and strain them to remove the seeds.

After you've mashed the strawberries add the balsamic vinegar and let it sit while you do the next steps.

Take the basil leaves and cut them to a chiffonade. See this video if you need instructions.

Add the water to a small sauce pan. Bring it to a slow boil. Add the basil leaves, sweetener and pectin. Let it boil for 1 minute.

Pour the basil mixture over the strawberries. Add the calcium water and vanilla, and stir for 1 minute. Taste it. If you want, add more sugar or balsamic to taste. Finely ground black pepper also works well in this.

Ladle into prepared containers leaving at least 1/2" of space at the top for expansion. Allow to stand at room temperature for 24 hours.

Tip: If it hasn't thickened to your liking after cooling, put it back in a pot, bring to a simmer, add more pectin and calcium water and then return to the containers and all to cool for another 24 hours. Also, you might want to consider making half the batch thinner for a sauce and the other half thick and spreadable.

Store in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 1 year.

Stats for the entire batch:

266 cal
    1.6g fat
    - 0.4g sat fat
    4mg sodium
    58g carb
    - 8g fiber
    - 22g sugar
    4.2g prot

Stats per 1 tbsp:

7 cal
    0g fat
    - 0g sat fat
    0mg sodium
    2g carb
    - 0g fiber
    - 1g sugar
    0g prot

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok - I had to research that pectin. Looks like I'm going to have to look locally (although it's available from Amazon, I don't foresee me doing QUITE that much canning). I've NEVER seen a product on Amazon with more than 10 reviews and have them all rated a 5.....
    Athaclena

Quote Originally Posted by Athaclena View Post
    Ok - I had to research that pectin. Looks like I'm going to have to look locally (although it's available from Amazon, I don't foresee me doing QUITE that much canning). I've NEVER seen a product on Amazon with more than 10 reviews and have them all rated a 5.....
    You can use any pectin except one that requires sugar to gell (because there's no sugar in this). Pomona's is actually fairly common.

Like 2,168 Times in 1,356 Posts

Apparently Whole Foods carries it.
    Send the perpetrator back to jail!

Useful links: Grocery Guide; Brand Name Shopping List; and Low Sodium Version
    ................. Sample Menus: Women; Men

“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama

This signature has just wasted approximately 2.5 seconds of your time.

Like 16 Times in 7 Posts

This sounds great! Am going to make it this weekend for my pound cakes.

Why the calcium water? Could you use plain water?

I used to make jam when I lived in the NW and had an out of control blackberry bush and access to lots of fresh, RIPE fruits<G>. I didn't realize pectin needed sugar. Will it state it on the box?

Thanks!
    Lynn
    and the black mini poodes

Like 2,168 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lynnmini View Post
    This sounds great! Am going to make it this weekend for my pound cakes.

Why the calcium water? Could you use plain water?

I used to make jam when I lived in the NW and had an out of control blackberry bush and access to lots of fresh, RIPE fruits<G>. I didn't realize pectin needed sugar. Will it state it on the box?

Thanks!
    Lynn
    and the black mini poodes
    Lynn, the brand that Peter mentioned comes with calcium powder to make the water. From their FAQ (http://www.pomonapectin.com/faqs.html):

Why does a packet of calcium powder come with Pomona’s Pectin?

The jelling power of Pomona’s Pectin is activated by calcium, so calcium has to be present in the mixture either naturally or added by you. The directions and recipe sheet that comes with your box of Pomona’s gives you instructions for making calcium water with the calcium powder.
    Send the perpetrator back to jail!

Useful links: Grocery Guide; Brand Name Shopping List; and Low Sodium Version
    ................. Sample Menus: Women; Men

“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama

This signature has just wasted approximately 2.5 seconds of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnmini View Post
    The box normally says whether you need sugar and has instructions (usually a recipe pamphlet inside). There are some types which are "low sugar" and there are some which don't require sugar because they have sugar as an ingredient. So, check the box carefully. If you see sugar listed in the ingredients, it's not the kind you want.

I should comment that there's nothing wrong with using a kind that requires sugar if you don't mind adding sugar. Of course, it will affect the stats. If you are going to add sugar, I would recommend honey instead of plain sugar.

Like 16 Times in 7 Posts

It was Wonderful!!!!!!

Thanks, Peter,

Lynn
    and the black mini poodles

Like 16 Times in 7 Posts

I had a friend over for dinner and for dessert we slathered the jam on a skinny cow sandwich, topped with sf choc. syrup and ff reddi whip. Yup, pretty much on plan and it was awesome!

Lynn

Like 16 Times in 7 Posts

Last night I had it smeared on the pound cake, topped with a small banana, drizzled sf choc. syrup and topped with reddi whip - OMG! tonite I might add my smear of peanut butter on a brownie with the jam, drizzled with sf syrup and reddi whip.

I also tried it in oatmeal - Yummy!

Can you tell I love this recipe?<G>

Lynn