Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dill Pickles: Can this be true??

I was at the store a little while ago and happened down the pickle isle. I love dill pickles so I decided to take a look at their calories...they are a veggie after all! And to my total shock, it said they are 0...yes 0 calories! How can this be? Even carrots have calories and they are one of the most unlimited things you can eat. I know the dills have quite a bit of sodium in them (220 mgs for the spears I bought) but I am really curious about the calories, or lack there of. I could see myself eating 1 or so a day to keep hunger away.

Like 1,693 Times in 1,046 Posts

Cucumbers are extremely low in calories as they are mostly water (<5 calories for a small pickling cucumber). Pickles are considered an extra and not a vegetable because of the sodium. So you can have 1 as an extra.

Carrots are not really one of the most "unlimited things you can eat". Cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, celery, etc. all have less calories than carrots.
    Send the perpetrator back to jail!

Useful links: Grocery Guide; Brand Name Shopping List; and Low Sodium Version
    ................. Sample Menus: Women; Men

“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama

This signature has just wasted approximately 2.5 seconds of your time.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the answer! I didn't know those other veggies were lower in calories than carrots, I always thought carrots were about as low as you can go, lol. And I will definitely be limiting the pickles to 1 a day due to sodium...I am already on BP meds I don't like to push my luck too much, lol.

Like 3,661 Times in 2,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by momto5kids View Post
    Thanks for the answer! I didn't know those other veggies were lower in calories than carrots, I always thought carrots were about as low as you can go, lol. And I will definitely be limiting the pickles to 1 a day due to sodium...I am already on BP meds I don't like to push my luck too much, lol.
    Carrots actually used to be limited on NS....

I wouldn't even have one pickle a day personally. I'd save them for special occasions.

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think most dill pickles are speared, but if not, make sure the sodium is for the whole pickle. I got all excited that I could eat a few garlic ones, only to realize the serving size was one-half of the whole pickle.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like a great find; maybe wash them off, bye bye sodium? I love pickles too!

Like 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m2marsh View Post
    Carrots actually used to be limited on NS....

I wouldn't even have one pickle a day personally. I'd save them for special occasions.
    I used to do South Beach numerous times, and actually carrots are not allowed on Phase 1, where you eliminate carbs. They are considered a starchy veggie on that plan. If you look at baby carrots, the bag will tell you one serving has about 30-35 cals depending on the brand (I think 1 oz servings). If you have the same amount of cucumber, you're somewhere closer to maybe 10-15 cals and more filling because of their high water content.

Warning about pickles: If you buy the giant "deli pickles," be careful because a serving is 1/2 a pickle, so in that case HALF a pickle has zero cals. A WHOLE giant pickle has more. And as PeterW reminds us frequently, anything less than five cals per serving can be labelled with a zero.

Not trying to bust your bubble because I honest to god freaken love pickles, but just making sure you're informed. Also I try not to eat them too often, an when I do, I eat it by itself so I really enjoy it and dont need more than 1.

Like 1,693 Times in 1,046 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg62010 View Post
    Warning about pickles: If you buy the giant "deli pickles," be careful because a serving is 1/2 a pickle, so in that case HALF a pickle has zero cals. A WHOLE giant pickle has more. And as PeterW reminds us frequently, anything less than five cals per serving can be labelled with a zero.
    Again, it is not the calories in the pickles that are a cause for concern (assuming you aren't eating ones with added sugar). Cucumbers are super low in calories. It is the sodium that is the problem and that is why they are limited.

You could make your own and control or eliminate the salt.
    Send the perpetrator back to jail!

Useful links: Grocery Guide; Brand Name Shopping List; and Low Sodium Version
    ................. Sample Menus: Women; Men

“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama

This signature has just wasted approximately 2.5 seconds of your time.

Like 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by losingw8now View Post
    Again, it is not the calories in the pickles that are a cause for concern (assuming you aren't eating ones with added sugar). Cucumbers are super low in calories. It is the sodium that is the problem and that is why they are limited.

You could make your own and control or eliminate the salt.
    Lol, yup, I know. I find mysel with the urge to down a cup of water immediately after eating them! Gotta flush it out!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Pickles

Headed to the frige now for a pickle.