Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs down Weight Loss Stall

Is weight loss plateau inevitable? I have been following the program (4-6 portions of veggies, 10-12 glasses of water, eating all my food) and for the last 3 weeks the scale has not moved. I am so FRUSTRATED and DISCOURAGED!
    I read about changing the dessert for a piece of fruit and tried it for one week - no changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Like 248 Times in 153 Posts

Can you list out what and how much you eat in a given day?
    cgbinky aka Jan

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

What I ate yesterday and what I ate and planned for today.

Breakfast
    Chocolate muffin
    1 cup of coffee

Mid-morning snack
    1/2 cup of eggbeaters
    3 slices of turkey
    1/2 cup of cherry tomato
    1 cup of arugula

Lunch
    1 cup of caulifower
    1 three cheese pasta (NS lunch)
    1/4 cup of lemon juice for lemonade

Snack
    Protein drink - Vanilla
    w/ 1/2 cup of almond coconut milk (22.5 cal)
    orange peel
    ice

Dinner
    Barramundi fillet (PF from lunch)
    1 cup of green beans
    Veggie lasagna
    1 slice of whole wheat bread (from afternoon snack)
    1 orange

Dessert (before bed time)
    Chocolate cake

** Some days I eat lunch instead of dinner and add a fish or chicken portion. I don't really like all the dinners.

Today I had:
    Breakfast
    1 slice of whole wheat bread
    1 egg (fried on Pam)
    1 cup of coffee
    2 tbsp of fat free half half (extra)

Snack
    Cheese string (WW - reduced fat)

Lunch
    Fudge granham bar
    Big salad
    Chicken breast

Snack1
    Vitalicious chocolate brownie (100 cal. / 10 gr of fiber /4 gr of protein/ 2 gr of fat/ 25 gr of carbs)

Snack 2
    Shake - Protein Drink

Dinner
    Raviolli in meat sauce
    2 cups of spinach
    1 cup of strawberries

Dessert:
    Almond coconut bar

Like 1,628 Times in 927 Posts

How many calories are you eating on average and how many are you burning in exercise?
    Christie Miller
    Healthy Living Architect
    Click --> to connect on FB

I'm a Nutrisystem success story. I do not work for the company. Contact Nutrisystem for official information.

Like 73 Times in 63 Posts

Hello vivinha2,

Plateaus can happen during weight loss.
    Have you taken your measurements? The best indicator of how you are doing is to monitor how your clothes are fitting, the scale is not the only way to measure your progress.

If you are not currently exercising I would recommend adding physical activity to your daily routine, if you are already exercising try to increase the intensity or duration of your workout.
    Last edited by Dietary_Services1; 04-23-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kristin,
    I am not exercising because of knee injury and plantar fasciitis. Today my doctor said that he believes that in few weeks after some phisiotherapy sessions I can start biking for 15 minutes (I will be using the KT tape you told me about) and increase slowly until I get better and have stronger knees and less pain in my feet.
    As for the calories intake, it varies between 1250 to 1400 when I eat tons of veggies and add the three extras. I do eat all my veggies and drink more water than recommended.

Thanks!!

Last edited by vivinha2; 04-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Like 4,158 Times in 2,504 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vivinha2 View Post
    Is weight loss plateau inevitable? I have been following the program (4-6 portions of veggies, 10-12 glasses of water, eating all my food) and for the last 3 weeks the scale has not moved. I am so FRUSTRATED and DISCOURAGED!
    I read about changing the dessert for a piece of fruit and tried it for one week - no changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    You look to be following the plan. You just appear to be in one of those dreaded plateaus. Here are some things to try:

Ways to Try to Break a Plateau:

First, know that NS doesn't call it a plateau until you've gone more than two weeks with 0 weight loss*. You can't expect to lose weight every week. You might, but if you don't, it isn't cause for alarm. If it has been over 2 weeks, here are some things to try:

*This does NOT apply to a newbie who hasn't started to lose weight yet. Don't try any of this yet. The plan as designed is the best way to get started.

1. Switch your dinner meal with your lunch meal. That includes add-ins.

2. Choose only "hard" proteins for your PowerFuels. These are meats, poultry, and fish. And per NS guidelines, you can be eating 120 calories of meat if you choose that for your PowerFuels. It should be AT LEAST 5 grams per protein serving (way more is better), but no more than 3 grams of fat. Are you getting enough protein in?

3. Increase your Exercise minutes and try a different activity.

4. In some cases, you might need to add another PowerFuel serving to up your calories. This is most often true when someone is working out a lot. In rare cases, you may even need to add a SmartCarb serving too. I would NOT try adding calories (beyond maxing out the PowerFuel serving to 120 calories) without talking to an NS counselor. See item 2 instead.

5. Drink MORE real water!

6. If you have been strictly following the NS plan, try going out to eat and ordering a simple fish or chicken meal no sauces. Add veggies, salad, but skip the carbs. Carefully watch your portion. Your chicken or fish should only be about the size of a deck of cards.

7. Choose different add-ins than your usual.

8. Are you following the plan EXACTLY? Lots of the fancy things that people add to jazz up their food add up to significant calories. Sometimes going back to basics helps.

9. Are you drinking alcohol at all? That cancels out your progress for the week IMO. I did it occasionally while losing, and I could sure tell the difference in a lot of ways. Avoiding alcohol is really a good idea during the weight loss phase. I've found even in maintenance that I rarely drink any more. Your tastes change once you get healthy!

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the info, Michelle ....
    I am hoping that biking for a few minutes will help. In this meantime I will not weight myself so often as it makes me anxious.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm at a plateau, too. With 6 lbs to lose. I was doing great until the weather turned cold and windy here in Michigan for that past few weeks. When the winds die down and I can get back outside I'm sure the remaining weight will fall off.

Till then, I've enrolled in a class at the local YMCA that starts this Thursday. Called "The Right to Bare Arms" it will focus on getting arms and upper body in shape for summer!

Since you have issues that preven a lot of exercise now, have you thought of just using some dumb bells to get arms, etc in shape? That counts, too.

Barb
    Started: 8/8/2011
    1st Mini-Goal: 10lbs.Met 8/29/2011
    1st goal: 199 Met 9/9/11
    2nd goal: 20lbs. Met 10/8/2011
    3rd goal: 30lbs. Met 11/21/2011
    4th goal: 40lbs. Met 1/26/2012

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in a plateau over a month for 4.5lbs to lose.
    Melissa