Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Miracle Noodles?

I recently came across Miracle Noodles (shirataki noodles made with konjac root) that have zero calories, zero fat, and are just water soluable fiber. Are these NS legal and do I need to count them in some way even though there is no calories, fat, carbs, sugar, starch, sodium, etc?

TIA,
    Jen

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering the same thing, i purchased some of these several months ago, they can add some volume to what some may consider a small meal.
    Hope there is a promising answer out there.

Erin

Like 443 Times in 351 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdean1211 View Post
    I recently came across Miracle Noodles (shirataki noodles made with konjac root) that have zero calories, zero fat, and are just water soluable fiber. Are these NS legal and do I need to count them in some way even though there is no calories, fat, carbs, sugar, starch, sodium, etc?
    Pending a reply from NS Mod or a Pro, where did you find them, regular grocery or specialty market?

COMPARE AND DESPAIR
    Don't compare yourself to others along your weight loss journey. Every person is
    different and will encounter completely individual challenges and rates of weight loss.

If you fall off the wagon, there is always time to climb back on.

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion." Phil. 1:6

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

As I am a new NS member, I do not know the "official" answer to this question. I do however eat miracle noodles with some regularity. You can. Get them online or in oreintal markets. I mostly get them thru Amazon's subscribe and save deal.

It would seem to me they should be legal - just my opinion.

Last edited by Debroecker; 05-22-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Oops

Like 1 Time in 1 Post

Nina, I found them on Amazon's subscribe and save offerings. All the shirataki noodles in my local stores (Oriental markets and regular groceries) are made with tofu instead of konjac root. I tried one package by adding them to some veggies for a "stir fry" seasoned with salt-free seasonings and they were very good and filling. They have no taste and absorb whatever flavors they are cooked with. But, before I go all crazy trying different dishes with them, I thought I'd make sure they were NS legal and if I need to record them, how to do it. :-)

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have thought about ordering these from Amazon as well, but I have heard mixed reviews - some say a great addition to soups and stir fries, some say they have a funny odor and consistency. I guess I am waiting to hear more about them first.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have also found them in local Gluten Free markets.

Erin

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds interesting....Can't wait to hear the answer.

Glitter Text Maker

Glitter Text Maker
    You can click on my name on the left and send me a PM (private message) or email me at amcarmon@roadrunner.com with you name and email address and I will send you Buddy Bucks today!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skiqueen17 View Post
    I have thought about ordering these from Amazon as well, but I have heard mixed reviews - some say a great addition to soups and stir fries, some say they have a funny odor and consistency. I guess I am waiting to hear more about them first.
    If you rinse them at instructions - no odor. As to consistency, if you expect them to be like regular pasta, I suspect you will be disappointed. However, you can improve consistency by cooking with some Pam in a nonstick pan after rinsing. They really do take up the flavor of what you cook with it.

I only use the konjac powder kind. You can also order just konjac powder from Amazon - add 1/2 teaspoon to dish with broth and you get gravy. Really great and 1/2 cup with low sodium broth is only 20 calories.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

They are an unlimited "food." If you search the boards there are many threads about them - some people love them, some people hate them. Definitely try before you buy a bunch. It seems that texture is the biggest concern, because they are basically tasteless and just absorb whatever flavor you give them.