Discussion Boards

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Appetite suppressant

Food that are appetite suppressants. Is cinnamon a appetite suppressant.

Like 48 Times in 24 Posts

Cassia cinnamon (Chinese cinnamon) contains about 5% coumarin which is known to be an appetite suppresant (reference here). This is a different species than Ceylon cinnamon or Indonesian cinnamon which do not contain significant amounts of coumarin (less than 0.5%).

It's worth mentioning that coumarin is moderately toxic (same reference) and was banned as a food additive in the US, although there is no prohibition against spices that naturally contain coumarin. 1 teaspoon of cassia cinnamon powder contains 5.8 to 12.1 mg of coumarin. European health agencies recommend limiting consumption to 0.1 mg coumarin per kg body weight per day.

Like 36 Times in 31 Posts

Hi angelspot1,
    We have not seen any clinical studies that support the use of cinnamon as an appetite suppressant.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 1,975 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by angelspot1 View Post
    Food that are appetite suppressants. Is cinnamon a appetite suppressant.
    Are you hungry?

What are you eating for you PowerFuels? If you concentrate on getting in those that have a lot of protein grams, you should be able to curb your hunger better.

Good PowerFuels for high protein: Egg whites, egg substitute, turkey, chicken, tuna, morningstar veggie burgers, greek yogurt.

Not So Good PowerFuels due to low protein: Nuts, nut butters, Dannon Lite n Fit or Yoplait Light yogurts, cheese.

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ty I will look for higher protein.