Discussion Boards

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Lean Cuisine substitute?

I'm thinking of lowering my plan as I've lost weight and am excersizeing. I've checked the contents of Lean Cuisine and they are the same if not better in Calories, sodium etc. I would still add on the veggies and Smartcarbs/PowerFuel as recommended and watch portion size. What are your thoughts on Lean Cuisine. I'd of course add in non processed foods like Fish etc.

I'm also getting tired of the Nutrisystem selection but wonder if it will be more expensive to get off Nutrisytem if anyone has experience with that cost wise.

Thanks,

Like 27 Times in 12 Posts

Hello!

I did Lean Cuisine once...when I hit goal with Nutrisystem. It was about the same price wise and I really enjoyed the meals. Of course, life happened, now I am back doing Nutri System again.

Roland

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

ok ---

1st question --- Lean Cuisine has a number of items that could fit as replacements for NS dinner entrees --- but check carefully,, they generally don't have whole grain or other low-gi carbs and less fiber and often less protein than NS, but similar calories, SOOOO you'll want to select higher protein PF's and "better" SC's to balance out --- the Spa meals would be my first suggestion as they do tend to have the lower-gi carbs (and are quite tasty)...

2nd - an idea is to eat your NS cake and have it too ---- why not keep your a/d subscription/membership (whatever ya want to call it) and just POSTPONE shipments several months, so that you get one every 4 months or so - can thereby keep current price, get the occasional re-supply of stuff you DO like and have a safety net as well....
    "People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life."
    My "Collected Recipes" are now on my NS Blog... graylady's Collected Recipes

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks good idea to delay and keep current price as I did get a discount when I joined...unless they offer re-joining discounts frequently.

Also what's the best high Protien PF and best SC's to eat. For SC I'll usually do half a cup boiled frozen peas, Sweet Potato, Beans, Apple and Bananna. For PF I usually do low sodium deli turkey or non fat cottage cheese.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last year when I tried to lose weight I went the "store" route (Lean Cuisines, etc). It was actually more expensive than the plan I am on with NS (just the shelf stable with shakes, no frozen). So I save money doing it this way. Sometimes I would get lucky and find a sale, otherwise it was pricey. But I have used LC for dinner before, for instance when the family ordered Chinese food and there are no comparable Chinese options in the ready to go dinners in NS so I bought a LC to replace it. I could see doing that more as I am approaching my goal and wanting something different once in a while but for now I am happy with NS and it's working very well for me!

-Kaylene

Start Date: February 26, 2012

Like 189 Times in 123 Posts

I always start my day with eggbeaters - lots of protein & very filling.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm a bit confused on the GI index or low GI carbs, the Lean Cuisines I saw has almost same Carbs, "Less" Sodium, same low fat and same protein.

Carbs were similar also but should I be looking for lowest carbs or do I need more?

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgab View Post
    So I'm a bit confused on the GI index or low GI carbs, the Lean Cuisines I saw has almost same Carbs, "Less" Sodium, same low fat and same protein.

Carbs were similar also but should I be looking for lowest carbs or do I need more?
    Hi gcab,

Good question about the carb issue. I believe Graylady was not only referring to the actual number of carbs, but to the "glycemic index" of carbs. Low GI carbs are what NS recommends. These carbs are metabolized more slowly, preventing (or reducing) the spikes of insulin released in your system in response to the metabolism of the carbs. You can "Google" low GI foods and you will come up with lists. The carbs are rated 1-100, I believe. A rating of less than 50 (I think) for a serving is considered "low." But check the low GI carb info. Basically, use whole grains (breads, pastas, rice, etc.) whenever possible. And not every fresh fruit is low GI. Watermelon is very high.
    Lee-Ann

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

Also what's the best high Protien PF and best SC's to eat. For SC I'll usually do half a cup boiled frozen peas, Sweet Potato, Beans, Apple and Bananna. For PF I usually do low sodium deli turkey or non fat cottage cheese.
    these sound like good ones to me -- plenty of varied nutrition & fiber in the SC and low gi (of course, it's NS list) and high protein content in the PF

as noted in reply above to this question --- isn't Number of carbs - it's Type of carbs --- look at ingredients for Kind of pasta, rice & so on --- is why I suggested you start with the LC Spa selections, tend to be more whole wheat and lower glycemic carbs than average LC items...

I think (could be wrong) but another quick & dirty way to check LC vs NS would be to compare not the carb # but the Fiber # --- more fiber will also tend to reduce glycemic index/load of a meal

AND I should note that I am replying based on what I remember of the NS foods vs LC entrees from some years ago,, before the NS frozen selections and when NS had higher protein (and a few more calories) on average in their dinner entrees --- in recent years, NS has reduced the calories (and protein) and possibly included more mid-range gi carbs with the frozen & shelf stable dinners (I'm seeing less brown rice and more white enriched rice for example - was looking specifically just this week) --- so the LC stuff may be MORE comparable to NS now than it was, say 5 years ago... not a knock at NS, just a fact of changing elements of the plan (they hadda reduce dinners cause they increased calories in desserts - when I started desserts averaged around 100 cal)..

lynn
    Last edited by graylady; 06-30-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    "People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life."
    My "Collected Recipes" are now on my NS Blog... graylady's Collected Recipes

10. The Following User Says Thank You to graylady For This Useful Post:

Stacy270 (10-13-2014)

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification on the "type" of carbs etc...