Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Lean Cuisine Substitute?

I'm thinking of lowering my plan as I've lost weight and am excersizeing. I've checked the contents of Lean Cuisine and they are the same if not better in Calories, sodium etc. I would still add on the veggies and Smartcarbs/PowerFuel as recommended and watch portion size. What are your thoughts on Lean Cuisine. I'd of course add in non processed foods like Fish etc.

I'm also getting tired of the Nutrisystem selection but wonder if it will be more expensive to get off Nutrisytem if anyone has experience with that cost wise.

Thanks,

Like 190 Times in 124 Posts

I have found only a few Lean Cuisine that I would consider using. Found a couple SmartOnes too (weight watchers)...but think I like the Kashi best altho they only make about 5 & one is not high enough protein for me. I FLEX 2 days a week & sometimes use these.
    Michelle's stat chart is incredibly helpful.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to eat lean cuisine a lot. There were a few under 250 calories, my favorite were the four cheese cannelloni. However a lot of them were around 300 calories so your calorie count could creep up if not watching the calories. Does anyone know if LC entrees tend to be low gi?

Like 69 Times in 37 Posts

I flex everyday as I too have gotten tired of the taste of NS and I don't have much $$ for it. I follow the flex guidelines everyday (I am sure other members will be happy to post it, not sure how to do this), however I haven't found any lean cuisines that fit the criteria, and only 1 smart ones. There are SOME but they are on the higher side for calories. I make my own food from fresh wholesome ingredients. I eat a LOT of fresh chicken, tuna, deli meats, wheat pasta, boca burgers, etc. I follow the plan 100% and I like to average low on my calories (I am BIG on counting I believe it keeps me in line). for the protein shakes I bought Muscle Milk Light off amazon and ebay (whoever is cheapest at the time) which is comparable. I have been on the "program" for 6 months now, half of it I was eating NS 100%, the other half flexing, so it works the same for me. Really, anyone can make this work, NS helps in a way that it is fast and convenient, though the foods I cook for myself don't take longer than 15 minutes to make.

~Marisa~

Like 89 Times in 77 Posts

Hi Cgab,

As long as they fit the averages for the Nutrisystem meals, they should be fine to flex with. The only problem is that we do not know if their food is low on the Glycemic Index so you may feel hungrier after eating them.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 1,254 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katieinkentucky View Post
    I used to eat lean cuisine a lot. There were a few under 250 calories, my favorite were the four cheese cannelloni. However a lot of them were around 300 calories so your calorie count could creep up if not watching the calories. Does anyone know if LC entrees tend to be low gi?
    You'd have to read the ingredients but from what I've seen, not a lot are low GI since they're made with white flour or use white rice. One that does fit in is the Chicken in Peanut Sauce. They use whole wheat pasta in it and it's pretty tasty.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

The Hokey Pokey Clinic - a place to turn yourself around.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

Like 4,640 Times in 2,796 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgab View Post
    I'm thinking of lowering my plan as I've lost weight and am excersizeing. I've checked the contents of Lean Cuisine and they are the same if not better in Calories, sodium etc. I would still add on the veggies and Smartcarbs/PowerFuel as recommended and watch portion size. What are your thoughts on Lean Cuisine. I'd of course add in non processed foods like Fish etc.

I'm also getting tired of the Nutrisystem selection but wonder if it will be more expensive to get off Nutrisytem if anyone has experience with that cost wise.

Thanks,
    There are tons of Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals that fit the stats for an NS dinner. However, many of them are not low GI carbs.

If you want a list of those that I've evaluated, e-mail me your e-addy and I'll send it to you.

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Omw2Sknny View Post
    I flex everyday as I too have gotten tired of the taste of NS and I don't have much $$ for it. I follow the flex guidelines everyday (I am sure other members will be happy to post it, not sure how to do this), however I haven't found any lean cuisines that fit the criteria, and only 1 smart ones. There are SOME but they are on the higher side for calories. I make my own food from fresh wholesome ingredients. I eat a LOT of fresh chicken, tuna, deli meats, wheat pasta, boca burgers, etc. I follow the plan 100% and I like to average low on my calories (I am BIG on counting I believe it keeps me in line). for the protein shakes I bought Muscle Milk Light off amazon and ebay (whoever is cheapest at the time) which is comparable. I have been on the "program" for 6 months now, half of it I was eating NS 100%, the other half flexing, so it works the same for me. Really, anyone can make this work, NS helps in a way that it is fast and convenient, though the foods I cook for myself don't take longer than 15 minutes to make.

NS dinners range from 150 to 300 calories. MOST of the Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice type meals fit in that range if you just look at calories. Actually, most fit all the stats. But whether or not they are low GI carbs is another story.

For example:

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Like 475 Times in 375 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m2marsh View Post

NS dinners range from 150 to 300 calories. MOST of the Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice type meals fit in that range if you just look at calories. Actually, most fit all the stats. But whether or not they are low GI carbs is another story.

For example:

Michelle, you certainly work hard to keep us informed, and I thank you. I am curious, however, to know what the column headings for the numbers are. I'm guessing, Calories, Fat, Carbs, Fiber, Protein; it is that the right order? Thanks for your help.

COMPARE AND DESPAIR
    Don't compare yourself to others along your weight loss journey. Every person is
    different and will encounter completely individual challenges and rates of weight loss.

If you fall off the wagon, there is always time to climb back on.

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion." Phil. 1:6

Quote Originally Posted by HealthierSpookyAlice View Post
    Michelle, you certainly work hard to keep us informed, and I thank you. I am curious, however, to know what the column headings for the numbers are. I'm guessing, Calories, Fat, Carbs, Fiber, Protein; it is that the right order? Thanks for your help.
    Just grabed a quick screen shot so the column headings don't show. If you want the full list, PM me your e-addy and I'll send it to you.

Column headings are calories, fat, carb, and protein. The last column is a 1 to 5 ranking of how I liked the meal.