Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eating 1000 calories a day and gaining weight!

Over the past year I'd been eating around 1000 calories a day, but bingeing occasionally and have gained 25 lbs this year . I have no idea why. It looks like Nutrisystem has you eating 1200 calories a day I am afraid that Nutrisystem will actually make me GAIN weight. Why has this happened to me and will Nutrisystem help me to lose weight? Or do I need to cut my calories to 800 or less per day and not go on Nutrisystem? Thanks for any advise.

Like 7 Times in 3 Posts

NO. DO NOT CUT YOUR CALORIES.

You are gaining weight because your current eating pattern is unhealthy and destructive. Eating 1000 calories is essentially starvation mode. Your body will hold onto every one of those calories. Binging only makes it worse because you trick your body into thinking it will get normal calories, but when it doesn't it holds onto the weight.

You need to be closer to 1200. You need to eat calories to burn calories, so you need to be eating that much to lose. Try it and see. It works.
    Last edited by Dawg62010; 07-18-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Like 321 Times in 233 Posts

Calories aren't everything. I found when I watch my calories and try to stay at about 1300 (for maintenance) I may gain BECAUSE of the fat in those calories. I try to keep the fat count down.

Read this;
    Obesity on 700 Calories Per Day
    Last edited by obie3; 07-18-2012 at 10:55 AM.

73 years young, joined at age 66, October '06.
    Always trying to lose more. I eat NS about 50% now.
    GOAL reached, 170 -50 8/2007 first 10 months (40 weeks)

Like 1,988 Times in 1,233 Posts

I knew this would be the next question.
    Send the perpetrator back to jail!

Useful links: Grocery Guide; Brand Name Shopping List; and Low Sodium Version
    ................. Sample Menus: Women; Men

“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama

This signature has just wasted approximately 2.5 seconds of your time.

Like 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by losingw8now View Post
    I knew this would be the next question.
    The only one we're missing is "I HATE veggies. Do I have to eat them to lose weight?"

We haven't seen that yet. I'm also wondering if this is one of those "fake" posters. Join date is 2009, and all the questions have been very "negative" and the OP never responds after the initial post. Just starts a new thread with a new question. :/
    Last edited by Dawg62010; 07-18-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hematite_inside01 View Post
    Over the past year I'd been eating around 1000 calories a day, but bingeing occasionally and have gained 25 lbs this year . I have no idea why. It looks like Nutrisystem has you eating 1200 calories a day I am afraid that Nutrisystem will actually make me GAIN weight. Why has this happened to me and will Nutrisystem help me to lose weight? Or do I need to cut my calories to 800 or less per day and not go on Nutrisystem? Thanks for any advise.
    From seeing this and the other posts you have posted in the past 24 hours I personally think you may need help from a dietician, a counselor, or a doctor. You don't want to drink water, you don't want to exercise, and now you don't want to eat more than 1,000 calories a day. None of that will lead to a healthy lifestyle.

I know I don't "know" you, but I just feel like you may need to talk to a real medical provider to get the guidance you need and a plan for your weight management.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

@Losingw8now-What do you mean "you knew this would be the next question"?

Like 79 Times in 69 Posts

Hi Hematite_inside01,

Our bodies get used to expecting a certain amount of calories and can adapt to it. When our body does not get the right amount of fuel, we can lose muscle mass which can slow down our metabolism. You need to find a way to increase your metabolism and our program can help you. Your body may need time to adapt to eating more calories and once you do, you will start losing weight again. It is very important to eat everything that is called for on our meal plan. You may benefit by contacting one of our weight loss counselors at 1-800-585-5483, option 3.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your body needs the right kind of foods and every 2 to 3 hours to keep your metabolism up. Feed the furniace ( your body). Good luck.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was on Nutrisystem in 2009. But gained the weight back. Now I'm just asking questions to try and figure out what I did wrong. In 2009 I followed the plan perfectly, yet have developed bad habits since then.