Discussion Boards

Thread: Protein shakes

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Protein shakes

Before Nutrisystem I had never had a protein shake. I have found I like them, but basically know nothing about them. If I discontinue purchasing through Nutrisystem, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what makes a nutrisystem shake what it is. All the protein shakes I look at in the store seem to be different nutritionally. Am I allowed to ask what other brands of protein shakes are comparable?
    thx much!
    Jenni

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good question, I am looking for the same answer. My 15 year old son is athletic and underweight. The doctors are always telling him/me to push the protein. He loves the NS shakes and I am trying to find an alternative. I am going to post the question to the nutritionist.

Like 476 Times in 375 Posts

The protein shakes have been discussed up in the Community (Food Talk Forum and maybe Dietitian), and you can scroll down and find the threads. Personally, I don't know ... never have them (use WW smoothies now and then). I'm still on the 2011 NS Advanced program, and shakes weren't an option until 2012. Some of the maintenance members are using Success and may pop in with your answers. Good luck Jenni (my daughter Jenni spells same way) as you begin NS, and to you mjdteah as you are closing in on your goal weight, nice job.

COMPARE AND DESPAIR
    Don't compare yourself to others along your weight loss journey. Every person is
    different and will encounter completely individual challenges and rates of weight loss.

If you fall off the wagon, there is always time to climb back on.

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion." Phil. 1:6

Like 1,245 Times in 717 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmhalseth View Post
    Before Nutrisystem I had never had a protein shake. I have found I like them, but basically know nothing about them. If I discontinue purchasing through Nutrisystem, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what makes a nutrisystem shake what it is. All the protein shakes I look at in the store seem to be different nutritionally. Am I allowed to ask what other brands of protein shakes are comparable?
    thx much!
    Jenni
    I think the big thing to look for if you're trying to find a close match is to compare the stats. for protein, fiber, sugar and calories. More protein and fiber is always better. Some that have very low sugar are not very tasty. Some that have higher sugar are higher in calories.

EAS makes a very comparable, tasty protein shake. Dietdirect.com sells some that are also very comparable and maybe even a bit tastier. You can also make pudding out of theirs by adding less water.

There are lots on the market. Just try to match the stats and find one that you like.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Costco has good options too. I was getting the ready to drink and the last time I was there there was a powdered form that tasted great and had additional vitamins and supplements. It seemed a lot link NS in terms of taste and texture.