Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Yonanas vs Magic Bullet

Has anyone tried this new Yonanas gadget yet? I am a fruit and ice cream lover. I'm considering treating myself to this but was wondering if a magic bullet might be better money spent. Let me know your thoughts.

Like 7 Times in 5 Posts

Yonana does a better job of "ice cream" and is easier to clean. However, I would wait until maintenance to get it. You have to use so much banana (2 whole or 1 with additional fruit) to get so little out that it is more than 1 serving at a time. I have both. Burned out the bullet and now trying the Cuisinart hoping for something that will last a little longer. Love the Yonana but not for weightloss. The bullet is much more versatile for weightloss because you can do thick shakes with ice in it too.

Toni

Like 1,206 Times in 694 Posts

I have not tried either the Yonanas or the Magic Bullet.
    I have a Shake- n- Take personal blender which I really like. What I have learned (after burning out my first one the first time I used it), that any of the personal blenders should not be run for more than about 20 seconds at a stretch. Once I learned that lesson, my second one is working great (6 months now).

Doesn't really answer your question, but just one of my random thoughts.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've never heard of the Yonanas thing before now... I googled it and it looks neat. It seems like you HAVE to add a frozen banana with whatever other type of fruit/ingredients though?
    It's reasonably priced though- $49+ free shipping from Amazon, so if you don't like it then just return it.

-Patricia (Goal 7/18/2012)

Like 105 Times in 64 Posts

This was a "showstopper" today on the canadian shopping channel. I watched it for the whole half hour and was amazed. It looks so good! But I feel the same as momof3-3 in that it seems like it would be better once you reach maintenance. The amount of fruit you have to put in the thing just to get a couple of scoops out of it seems quite a bit. They did demos on TV where they made blends with and without banana in it. Considering we are only allowed 2 fruit servings per day, it doesn't seem like we are even allowed enough to make 2 scoops of this stuff. It would just seem like an evil "tease" to the tastebuds

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I DO have the Yonanas and I used it during weight loss, not just during maintenance. However, I do not use it all that often...

Unlike what has been said, while it recommends using it with frozen banana for every item, I don't do that. My husband has mango only Yonanas "ice cream," and it is fine (although it is a pain to peel and cut up fresh mango).

I found mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $49., but then added their standard 20% off coupon, so net of $40. The B, B & B coupons never expire, so use that if you have one. Also, B, B & B has a great return policy even on things you try.

As far as the volume, yes, per directions, you are supposed to use a full banana plus other fruit. Again, I didn't use more than the amount recommended by NS. I just took apart the Yonanas machine and scraped out the food in there before I ate, and got a full serving.

I do like the creamy texture of the frozen fruit, even without the use of bananas. I have never used a Bullet, but can't imagine anything else giving such a creamy texture.
    Lee-Ann

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leemom3 View Post
    My husband has mango only Yonanas "ice cream," and it is fine (although it is a pain to peel and cut up fresh mango)..
    It is actually really easy to cut a mango... no need to peel them in the traditional way.

Cut in the direction of and closest to the seed on both sides so you have 2 halves. Then cut the mango length-wise down to the peel, then again cross-wise down to the peel... flip it inside out and just cut the chunks off.

You should only be left with a teeny mango mohawk (if anything) that is also easy to cut off after that.

Here's a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLdPjpELyU This guy shows a couple different techniques.

-Patricia (Goal 7/18/2012)

Like 1,705 Times in 1,053 Posts

If you have a blender, you don't need either the Yonanas or a Magic Bullet. Toss the frozen banana in the blender and you will get banana "ice cream".

For smoothies, buy a Blend-n-Go cup. You attach the blade and gasket from your regular blender and blend the smoothie in the cup. Twist off the blade assembly and replace with the cap and you are good to go.

A good blender will have a better motor than the magic bullet or other personal size blenders.
    Send the perpetrator back to jail!

Useful links: Grocery Guide; Brand Name Shopping List; and Low Sodium Version
    ................. Sample Menus: Women; Men

“Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” — Dalai Lama

This signature has just wasted approximately 2.5 seconds of your time.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pnixon23 View Post
    It is actually really easy to cut a mango... no need to peel them in the traditional way.

Cut in the direction of and closest to the seed on both sides so you have 2 halves. Then cut the mango length-wise down to the peel, then again cross-wise down to the peel... flip it inside out and just cut the chunks off.

You should only be left with a teeny mango mohawk (if anything) that is also easy to cut off after that.

Here's a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLdPjpELyU This guy shows a couple different techniques.
    Thanks! Will definitely check it out.
    Lee-Ann

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default yonanas for sure

I have a yonanas machine and it's amazing. You don't have to use a banana. I like pineapple the most. Dole makes pre-cut, frozen pineapple that works great. It's only 70 calories a serving. I don't know if you have ever had a dole-whip but it's just like that. Skip the banana. If you want a more creamy dessert then you can wait until your banana gets really brown and then freeze it. If you use a partially ripe banana it's gross. Also make sure to scrape out the inside of the machine or you'll miss 50% of the fruit.