Discussion Boards

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Like 10 Times in 8 Posts

I am happy that I found NS. I have learned so much and feel tons better than before I started!
    -Deb

Like 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jillinois View Post
    Several of the items on the SC list aren't particularly low GI... baked russet potatoes are higher than boiled white potatoes (which are in the medium range)- but they are smack dab in the SC list. Popcorn is in the medium range, but the fat with it lowers the overall GI and glycemic load. Combinations of foods change the individual GI impact, as will the overall foods spread over the course of a day.
    Actually, white potatoes are not listed on the list of SmartCarbs in the Grocery Guide. Sweet potatoes, however, are. Popcorn is listed only as an Extra, not a SmartCarb.

Grocery Guide

Like 209 Times in 146 Posts

Like 70 Times in 49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m2marsh View Post
    NS isn't a calorie counting program. I'm not sure they even say PFs and SCs are to be 80-120 calories in the material they send -- do they?

They don't want to scare newbies off by mesmerizing them with all the numbers. But they are readily available if you ask Dietary Services.

You can be successful on NS and remain oblivious to the numbers. But only if you eat stuff from their grocery lists. Once you venture out into other items (like this popcorn product), that's when it really helps to be aware of the numbers. Otherwise you have to call NS or ask the dietitians on every item you are curious about.

That leads to why I think this knowledge is important to understand for each of us. Without it, maintenance is even more difficult in my opinion.
    I did look for the info on SC/PF because I wondered where the range came from. I found it here on NS website: under grocery guide, under brand name shopping list:
    http://content.nutrisystem.com/pdf/N...pping_List.pdf

I'm not talking about the popcorn. I'm talking about the fact that knowing a lot about nutrition makes losing weight and keeping it off more likely. Yes, most NSers do not use the boards. But I'll bet the percentage of successful NSers is higher among those that do, but I don't have that data.

Not sure why you are arguing. No one said you can't eat this popcorn -- I sure didn't. I'm simply using it as an example (and not a great one). I read all the time about people using this as a PF and that as an SC. Not all of them are great choices -- but you wouldn't know that if you aren't aware of nutrition. Another example would be someone that uses nuts and nut butters for all of their PowerFuels every day. They would be following NS guidelines -- not breaking any rules. But that would be a poor choice for nutrition and weight loss.

I believe the NSer the fully grasps nutrition concepts and uses that to their advantage is much more likely to reach goal, and keep the weight off than those that don't.
    Sniff, I am not trying to argue.....I was just wondering about where the fat gram info was coming from....gosh.....I don't have the advanced info and I never saw anything about worrying about the fat grams on the website until I read this discussion about the popcorn. So I was asking where this all came from....
    I value your info and everyone else's. I have read different threads and actually have your chart on my computer to refer to. It was a curiosity thing. Sorry!

Like 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by something_else View Post
    Actually, white potatoes are not listed on the list of SmartCarbs in the Grocery Guide. Sweet potatoes, however, are. Popcorn is listed only as an Extra, not a SmartCarb.

Grocery Guide
    They're listed in my daily planner and Simple Success book Under starchy veggies. They're also offered as lunch entrees...
    Last edited by jillinois; 06-12-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    Jill

Like 4,040 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TERRIFICT View Post
    I did look for the info on SC/PF because I wondered where the range came from. I found it here on NS website: under grocery guide, under brand name shopping list:
    http://content.nutrisystem.com/pdf/N...pping_List.pdf
    But that didn't come with the printed materials you get with your first order, did it?

If you look around, you can find most of the info I posted. You'd have to use the search feature, and search on posts by Dietary Services. When I need this kind of info, I e-mail Dietary Services.

Like I said before, most NSers' eyes glaze over when you start talking about nutrition stats. So NS tries not to emphasize that.

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Like 4,040 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TERRIFICT View Post
    Sniff, I am not trying to argue.....I was just wondering about where the fat gram info was coming from....gosh.....I don't have the advanced info and I never saw anything about worrying about the fat grams on the website until I read this discussion about the popcorn. So I was asking where this all came from....
    I value your info and everyone else's. I have read different threads and actually have your chart on my computer to refer to. It was a curiosity thing. Sorry!
    I thought I'd deleted that statement. I get where you are coming from. I apologize for that remark as it really doesn't apply to you. You are one of the ones that will likely succeed on this plan. Because you are trying to educate yourself and understand the science behind it. I wish you luck.

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Quote Originally Posted by jillinois View Post
    They're listed in my daily planner and Simple Success book Under starchy veggies. They're also offered as lunch entrees...
    This is true. Potatoes are in the daily planner under SC. 1/2 cup starchy veggies is a SC and potatoes, along with beans, peas, corn is listed as an example.

But that didn't come with the printed materials you get with your first order, did it?

If you look around, you can find most of the info I posted. You'd have to use the search feature, and search on posts by Dietary Services. When I need this kind of info, I e-mail Dietary Services.

Like I said before, most NSers' eyes glaze over when you start talking about nutrition stats. So NS tries not to emphasize that.
    No, it didn't come with the info in the box as far as I can see. I only found it when I looked under the grocery list, in the link I posted.