Discussion Boards

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Why am I gaining weight?

I have been on NS and this is the end of my third week. In the first 11 days I lost 7lbs and now I have gained back 2lbs. I have been following the program and incorporated exercise as well... What is going on?

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could you post a detailed list of what you eat in a day?
    Tom Parker

Like 1,250 Times in 722 Posts

Take a breath...

Think of the big picture. You have lost 7 pounds in 11 days!! That's WELL over the NS average of 1-2 pounds per week. Your body needs some time to adjust. You haven't gained 2 pounds of fat. It's most likely fluid.

Are you eating all your PowerFuels, SmartCarbs and veggies?
    Are you male or female?
    How much do you have to lose?
    How much are you exercising?

Patience.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been eating all if my PFs and SCs and I try to get all my veggies in. I usually average 3 servings. I exercise about 3 days a week for a half hour. It is usually a walk around my neighborhood. Also I am female and I am looking to lose a total of 30lbs

Like 1,250 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PsychNerd View Post
    I have been eating all if my PFs and SCs and I try to get all my veggies in. I usually average 3 servings. I exercise about 3 days a week for a half hour. It is usually a walk around my neighborhood. Also I am female and I am looking to lose a total of 30lbs
    Well, then other than getting that 4th veggie in and making sure your PFs and SCs are within 80 - 120 calories, it sounds like you've got the eating part down.
    And the water?
    A couple more days of exercising probably would be beneficial as well.

But overall, it sounds like you are off to a great start. If you are weighing daily (and I do too), you must be able to accept the constant fluctuations of the scale. It would be nice if it went down every day if we were 100%, but usually that's not the case. In fact, last week one day, I was up 4 pounds from 1 day to the next. No logical explanation. It came right off without changing anything. If these fluctuations stress you out too much, only weigh once a week.
    I weigh every day, BUT the only weight I consider to be official is the once a week weigh-in.

Again, patience will need to be your friend.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. It has helped to make me feel better.

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

Could it be your TOM? I know my scale can't be trusted during that time! Just keep on plugging away and you'll get there! :-)

Jan -9, Feb -8, Mar -8.2, Apr -7.4, May -6.6, Jun -5.2, Jul -8.4, Aug -6, Sept -5.8, Oct -6.8, Nov -3.2 (74.6), Dec -2.2...

Like 299 Times in 185 Posts

First, I would tell you to quit weighing so much and agonizing over stuff. Your weight will go up and down depending on the day, time of month, etc.

Second, you say you are getting all your food except for some veggies in, but it would be better if you list out exactly what and how much you eat in a given day or two.

Third, you didn't gain 30 pounds overnight so why expect to lose it that way too? This is a journey, a lifetime journey and in order to lose the weight and keep it off, your body needs to do it at its own pace. That could be straight line down, angled down or like a roller coaster. Up, down, around, level off and then repeat.

Patience, patience, patience. Put the scale away for a while (at least a week or two) and concentrate on your meal planning, eating and exercise. Things have a way of working themselves out. In spite of ourselves.
    cgbinky aka Jan

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with what everyone has said. I bet if you commit to just weighing yourself once a week you'll see consistent losses without all the anguish. Seems like you're doing great to me! Almost lost 1/3 of your goal in 3 weeks! Just be patient. I keep telling myself, slow and steady wins the race.