Discussion Boards

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Fatty Liver Disease

I just took 2 months off of nutrisystem in order to pay for a medication I needed. My next order just shipped on friday, but today I learned I have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. My doctor wants me on a very low fat diet for a while. I am on the Diabetic program, in Canada so no frozen foods. Is there any foods in my program that I should avoid eating with the fatty liver disease? Or any other recommendations that could be made so I can get the most benefit out of Nutrisystem while Im dealing with this new health concern?

Thank You.

Amber

Like 92 Times in 80 Posts

Hello Alynn31,

All of the foods on the Nutrisystem menu are low in fat, if you follow the program as recommended you should be getting about 25-35g of fat daily. All of our programs meet the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
    Last edited by Dietary_Services1; 04-23-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 6 Times in 3 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Alynn31 View Post
    I just took 2 months off of nutrisystem in order to pay for a medication I needed. My next order just shipped on friday, but today I learned I have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. My doctor wants me on a very low fat diet for a while. I am on the Diabetic program, in Canada so no frozen foods. Is there any foods in my program that I should avoid eating with the fatty liver disease? Or any other recommendations that could be made so I can get the most benefit out of Nutrisystem while Im dealing with this new health concern?

Thank You.
    If you don't mind me asking..what is that disease and how did you realize you had it..what are the symptoms? Never heard of it and am interested as I like to learn stuff just in case I ever run into an issue..or someone I know does..good luck with your program and I hope you are doing ok..

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Emskid4, its a condition where theres a build up of too many fat cells in the liver which can lead to inflammation and cirrhosis, and when left untreated can progress into liver cancer or liver failure. It often has no symptoms, but sometimes causes raised liver enzymes, or symptoms of cirrhosis like abdominal pain, edema, extreme itching, or jaundice. They found it in me by doing an ultrasound, they were looking for an abdominal hernia and gallstones. They found the hernia but instead of gallstones they found the fatty liver disease instead. This particular type is not caused by drinking, like the other fatty liver disease is. And is closely linked to diabetes or obesity instead.

Amber

Like 367 Times in 135 Posts

For a few years my blood tests at annual physical showed elevated liver enzymes - not extremely high but high enough to cause concern. The ultrasound was inconclusive, but doctor suspected fatty liver disease. Last June, after slightly fewer than 6 weeks on NS, and about a 20-lb. weight loss, my liver tests were well within the normal range.

I'm giving all the credit to the Nutrisystem diet. Hope you have similar results.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also was diagnosed with fatty liver. After losing 40 lbs on NS, my liver enzymes are back to normal!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I too was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease in February '12. I restarted Nutrisystem after "straying" for a couple of years when I received that diagnosis and a full-blown diabetes diagnosis. By May 2012, no more signs of fatty liver... and my last AC1 was 4.8 (down from over 10 in February). I attribute this, plus the over 60 pounds kicked to the curb, entirely to Nutrisystem.

Jeanne

Like 6 Times in 3 Posts

I wish all of you the best of health and thanks for sharing..good luck on your weight loss journey!!