Discussion Boards

DIANE923NH

Default Yikes! Weight Gain After Colonoscopy

Hi -

Hope there is some experience out there with this . . .

I had colonoscopy on Tuesday; with the necessary prep, I lost two lbs from my official Saturday weight when I went in on Tuesday for the test.

I ate lunch and dinner on Tuesday, drank water, and woke up Wednesday having gained 5.5 pounds. Figured it was a fluke as the system corrects itself, and forgot about it; ate 100% NS Wednesday.

Weighed 1.5 lbs more this morning - that's a total of 7 more since Tuesday, wow! I do feel bloated and am trying to flush the sodium out. Is it because I was dehydrated that the body is hanging on to all water now, and how long does it take to balance out again?

I know this isn't "real" weight, but I'm uncomfortable and hope this doesn't last.

Diane

SIZCAT

Default Yikes! Weight Gain After Medical Test

Diane I have no idea about the test you took so I am just bumping your post up. It does sound like water retention to me.

Teresa
    365/324/199
    Valentine Vixen Goal-319

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

dont stress on it, continue on and see what happens over the next few weeks. I am having a scope on Tuesday as well. Cant wait for the prep...haha

DIANE923NH

Just bumping this back up now that there are more people on the BB - does anybody have any experience with this?

thanks!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Diane,

Sometimes (often, in fact) the prep for a colonoscopy causes the release of a certain hormone that can result in water retention. This should resolve itself. But let your doc know if you are having any weird symptoms or if it continues to get worse, or if you are not urinating, etc.

Angie

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

ive got to have one this year also. i wonder if your body went into a starvation mode and started to hold on to everthing.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

The body is a CRAZY thing. I have too gained 7 pounds in 48 hours. I'm going to get my water pills now. I only wish I had an answer. It seems once the body starts retaining there is no stopping it!

Suzi

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I had my Colonoscopy a few months ago ..I gained 5 lbs after it...it is from both the way your body is handling the rehydration from the prep and from the saline IV fluids you received ...
    It is a normal reaction and it will all balance out for you in a few days. Just go back to being 100% NS and drink all your water

Good Luck ,
    Noreen
    276/225/160
    PS..I have these tests yearly and it ALWAYS happens ..also right now I am home on IV antibiotics and it is making my weight fluctuate like crazy ...so frustrating
    Noreen

DIANE923NH

Thanks to all for posting your experience! I had a feeling it was just the test and I also thought about the saline I-V after I posted, so just knowing it happened to others and didn't last is good enough for me.

Diane