Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sodium Content

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sodium Content

I was a little concern about the sodium content in the food. Is there a daily intake we should look for in food?

Like 71 Times in 61 Posts

Hi island1961,
    The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend 2300 mg or less of sodium per day for the general population. The Nutrisystem meal plan does average less than this amount. If you have hypertension or another condition that requires a lower sodium intake, we can customize the menu to 1500 mg sodium. Government studies indicate that the typical American woman consumes over 2800 mg of sodium daily.
    Compare labels in the grocery store for the best options for additions that tend to be high in sodium, such as cottage cheese, deli meats and salad dressings.
    Nutrition & Dietary Services

You can also email program related questions to:

dietaryservices@nutrisystem.com

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

how do I go about getting my next shipment to look more like that 1500 mg sodium ??

I have high blood pressure and the doc says I need to get my bp down to normal range... I'm taking meds. I have 35 lbs to loose which should help. But if my meals can help as well, that would be great.

Like 3,735 Times in 2,242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rennis00 View Post
    how do I go about getting my next shipment to look more like that 1500 mg sodium ??

I have high blood pressure and the doc says I need to get my bp down to normal range... I'm taking meds. I have 35 lbs to loose which should help. But if my meals can help as well, that would be great.
    Call NS and they'll help you out. There is a pretty wide range of sodium milligrams on the various entree groups. So they'll probably have you eliminate some of the higher sodium entrees from your order. Then if you watch your add-ins (PowerFuels and SmartCarbs) closely, you can cut the sodium way down.

Good luck!

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Like 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just throwing this out there-

A 'No Added Salt' diet in a hospital (meaning stuff may be cooked with minimal salt, but no salt packets are put on the tray) is 2 grams (2,000 mgs) of sodium.

If folks want to go below this, it might be good to check with your personal doc to be sure you aren't going too low- sodium is necessary for heart and muscle functioning (though very true, you don't want too much). When you get below 2 gms, you're getting into 'therapeutic' sodium amounts, which may NOT be good for someone who doesn't have disorders/diseases that are affected by sodium.

Back to regular programming
    Jill

Like 278 Times in 203 Posts

For me the sodium in NS food is a lot lower then what I was eating before NS.
    Maybe this may be the first time you are reading label to see the sodium content. NS food is low as is just watch your add-ins. Try it for a while and see what your BP does. Mine has gone way down with the meds I still take. Sometimes high BP is inherited. Mine is.

73 years young, joined at age 66, October '06.
    Always trying to lose more. I eat NS about 50% now.
    GOAL reached, 170 -50 8/2007 first 10 months (40 weeks)

Like 232 Times in 145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by obie3 View Post
    For me the sodium in NS food is a lot lower then what I was eating before NS.
    Maybe this may be the first time you are reading label to see the sodium content. NS food is low as is just watch your add-ins. Try it for a while and see what your BP does. Mine has gone way down with the meds I still take. Sometimes high BP is inherited. Mine is.
    This.
    cgbinky aka Jan

Like 3,735 Times in 2,242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HillTumbler View Post
    Just throwing this out there-

A 'No Added Salt' diet in a hospital (meaning stuff may be cooked with minimal salt, but no salt packets are put on the tray) is 2 grams (2,000 mgs) of sodium.

If folks want to go below this, it might be good to check with your personal doc to be sure you aren't going too low- sodium is necessary for heart and muscle functioning (though very true, you don't want too much). When you get below 2 gms, you're getting into 'therapeutic' sodium amounts, which may NOT be good for someone who doesn't have disorders/diseases that are affected by sodium.

Back to regular programming
    I would think anything above 1500 mgs is not too low. And good on ya if you can keep it that low and not feel deprived!

According to MayoClinic.com:

The RDA for sodium is currently no more than 2,300 mg of sodium daily for healthy adults. That is equivalent to about 1 tsp. of salt a day. Children's RDAs for sodium are:

Ages 2 to 3, 1,000 mg
    Ages 4 to 8, 1,200 mg
    Ages 9 to 18, 1,500 mg.

And also per the Mayo Clinic, certain populations are more sensitive to sodium, and for them the RDA is set to only 1,500 mg of sodium per day.

Examples of groups that might want to watch their intake are adults over 50, African Americans, and those diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes or kidney disease.

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

Like 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m2marsh View Post
    I would think anything above 1500 mgs is not too low. And good on ya if you can keep it that low and not feel deprived!

According to MayoClinic.com:

The RDA for sodium is currently no more than 2,300 mg of sodium daily for healthy adults. That is equivalent to about 1 tsp. of salt a day. Children's RDAs for sodium are:

Ages 2 to 3, 1,000 mg
    Ages 4 to 8, 1,200 mg
    Ages 9 to 18, 1,500 mg.

And also per the Mayo Clinic, certain populations are more sensitive to sodium, and for them the RDA is set to only 1,500 mg of sodium per day.

Examples of groups that might want to watch their intake are adults over 50, African Americans, and those diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes or kidney disease.
    I think the intensity of exercise also has an impact on sodium requirements. Of course, those who have been told to eat less sodium should do so- but for healthy individuals, going up to 2,300 mg/day isn't a problem. Low sodium levels (while not overly common) can occur, and can often require hospitalization (taken care of a lot of low sodium patients). Folks need to know their own bodies, and exercise intensity- and adjust their sodium intake above the bare minimum as needed.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyp...SECTION=causes
    Last edited by HillTumbler; 07-04-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Jill

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

thank you all for your comments. You are right, I am now just starting to "pay attention"... so it is hard to eat Pretzels as a "snack"... just doesn't feel right.

Exercise is my biggest missing component. I had a stroke a couple of weeks ago... not allowed to drive... and I get energy drained very quickly. More or less home confined... in a second story apartment. It is scary when you can't "see" yourself healing. I'll get a headache... what does that mean?? That kinda stuff. I have not been pushing yet. Going to see my docs this week. Hopefully they will give me the green light to push a little harder. I'm doing great on the eating side, but it will take exercise to start loosing the weight.