Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Do Vitamins Cause Weight Gain?

I mentioned to my mother that I started taking multivitamins, and she responded say her mother told her they cause weight gain. They are not calorie free and the fact is I did gain weight, but it could be related to Aunt Flo but I'm almost back at the starting point, which really just bites the big one. I don't even want to try eating NS anymore and just exercise because I'm so discouraged.

Like 16 Times in 12 Posts

I began taking a daily multivitamin soon after I started NS and still went on to lose over 50 lbs (& counting.) Interesting question as everyone is different, including the vitamins lol...Continue following the program and you will start seeing results again I tend to avoid the scale during that "TOM."
    Last edited by Dez_2013; 10-05-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    "The pain of being overweight is far worse than the pain of working out!"

Like 1,202 Times in 693 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Live_Freely View Post
    I mentioned to my mother that I started taking multivitamins, and she responded say her mother told her they cause weight gain. They are not calorie free and the fact is I did gain weight, but it could be related to Aunt Flo but I'm almost back at the starting point, which really just bites the big one. I don't even want to try eating NS anymore and just exercise because I'm so discouraged.
    I highly doubt that vitamins cause weight gain. I think there are a lot of people here taking them and still losing weight.

Sorry you're so discouraged. Are you on program 100% and not losing weight? If you'd like help, please post a what you are eating in a typical day. It's great you are exercising, but that alone will not cause you to lose weight.

You can do this. You just need to trust the program.

Like 1,513 Times in 871 Posts

I mentioned to my mother that I started taking multivitamins, and she responded say her mother told her they cause weight gain.
    I take a huge handful of vitamins and supplements every day and I haven't gained weight.

I don't even want to try eating NS anymore and just exercise because I'm so discouraged.
    What would quitting do? Time will pass whether or not you are dieting. Wouldn't you rather enter 2014 healthier than you are now. Keep going. The pace of loss is completely irrelevant.
    Christie
    Living healthy and happy at 49.
    Click --> to become FB friends.

I'm a Nutrisystem success story. I do not work for the company. Contact Nutrisystem for official information.

Like 16 Times in 10 Posts

The 'pace of loss' might not be "completely irrelevant" to HER. If she's discouraged, she's discouraged. The 'Boot Camp Mentality' might not work for her.

Korina: Just compare your options and do what you feel is right for YOU.

Like 18 Times in 16 Posts

Korina, you got this... It is just set back. You have worked on yourself so hard the past few weeks.
    Talk to the class you are taking, call a counsellor and yes that tom might not be the best time for water gain...

You are getting a new box in a few days. You have been flexing which could be the reason why you gained weight.

Don't give up on yourself. Don't give up on that goal you have for your daughter.

And keep on smiling, you will get there

Like 10 Times in 10 Posts

The macronutrients are noncaloric, the tablet may contain a few calories from the binder. Look first at how much you're eating then look at your physicsl activity level.

Banned
    Realm of Minerva & the Catcher of Gold in the Foothills of Southern California
    Like 183 Times in 124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jo1862 View Post
    The 'pace of loss' might not be "completely irrelevant" to HER. If she's discouraged, she's discouraged. The 'Boot Camp Mentality' might not work for her.

Korina: Just compare your options and do what you feel is right for YOU.
    ITA! Some people may indeed not care at all about how quickly or slowly they lose, but to many it is quite relevant. When one is following the plan and is not losing, is losing slowly, or is even gaining, telling them to just keep going and not worry about it is FAR easier said than done.

Korina, maybe a call to the dietician at Nutrisystem is what you need right about now. They may be able to figure out what's going on and give you some valuable tips and information.

As for vitamins and weight gain, yes, they can. Oil-based supplements, such as vitamin E, flaxseed oil caps, and fish oil caps (and other omega-3 oil supps), as well as any that have binders that give them a significant calorie count ALL can have an effect on weight loss/gain...because they contain calories.

Depending on the amount of supplements one takes, the calories may be enough to have an effect. Although some don't bother to count supplement calories, especially if quite a few are taken daily, it may be worth considering adding the calories into the daily total. My current vitamin/mineral/other supplement intake adds up to more than 150 calories a day! I count them in my daily totals. That's too many calories to even count them as allowable "extras." If I was only taking a multivitamin or only a few others, I might not be concerned about it at all.

If you're only taking a multivitamin, I doubt it has much calorie impact.

Like 45 Times in 43 Posts

I think I read that you are exercising now, and exercise adds muscle which weighs more than fat. Are your clothes fitting you more loosely? If so that should totally give you a boost! Stay on plan, that ol' scale will move.

While I can't get any younger, I can get lighter and therefore feel younger.

Like 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm supposed to be taking 3 fish oil (I've been taking 1-2/day) and 2 am multivitamins and 2 pm multivitamins. Both have different nutrients am for energy pm for muscle building. Plus I take my normal stuff.

I know what I ate today wasn't at all helpful but that's not my normal food intake. Yesterday was closer to normal, but I don't remember everything and didn't log. I figure I'll restart Monday. I'm not feeling it right now. Plus I'm getting all my food probably Tuesday. Got my frozen today.

Even the fitness center people have told me food is 80% exercise is 20% but I think in my world it's more like 60%/40%. They were probably saying that so I would quit eating crap, immediately. Didn't work.

You're right I have to stick with something for my daughter's sake and my own really.