Discussion Boards

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by m2marsh View Post
    But because you didn't finish the shakes, you are way too low in protein and calories for the day. Do you have a yogurt, cottage cheese, some chicken..... I'd eat probably at least 2 PowerFuel servings still today. Eating too few calories can really mess up your metabolism. And make you hungry and not feeling well by the next day. Don't fall into that trap.

Eat Less to Lose More --- NO!

Updated 8/5/2013 m2marsh

One of the questions/problems I've seen quite frequently asked on the NS discussion boards concerns eating all the food on the plan. MANY newbies apply logic and think if they skip the dessert or some of the PowerFuels, SmartCarbs, or Veggies, they'll lose weight more quickly. I fell into the trap when I was a newbie, too. I mean it makes sense (if you don't understand about how weight loss and metabolism work).

But it is one of the biggest mistakes I see on NS. One of the essential keys to weight loss is to keep your metabolism fired up and burning calories. The other is a calorie deficit which NS accomplishes by having us eat a prescribed and well-researched meal plan.

Now, in order to keep your metabolism fired up, you have to keep it fueled. I picture my metabolism as a coal burning engine inside me. Food is coal (aka fuel). If I don't throw in a shovel full of coal every 3 hours or so, the fire dies down and the engine stops burning as much and as quickly. And the type of fuel is important. NS takes care of that part for us.

So, what will happen if you ignore this advice and undercut the calories required by the NS meal plan? I can't know for sure for each individual. But I have seen it hundreds of times over the 5 years I've been participating in the program and the discussion boards. In nearly every case, one of two things happen. Which of the two typically depends on how you were eating in the weeks leading up to starting NS.

1. You won't lose much of anything at all the first couple of weeks. Your metabolism never kicks in because your body thinks you are starving. And it is confused. At this point many members quit as they aren't getting the positive reinforcement on the scale that they are so desperate to see.

2. You will lose a bunch for the first 2-3 weeks. You get all jazzed thinking you'll be at goal sooner than you ever imagined. Then the weight loss stops, or you may even gain a little weight. Then hopefully someone clues you in and you start eating properly. You can sometimes actually GAIN weight doing that -- but usually only the first week you start eating more calories. After that, the metabolism is hopefully on even keel again and you'll start your slow descent into goal.

Both these are usually corrected when you start following the plan as written. Additionally, if you don't teach your body how to eat a healthy amount of calories, you are going to have a hard time keeping your weight off after reaching goal.

Another way to keep the metabolism fired up is to exercise. That is why NS has included the Daily 3. And that is why you'll find that the vast majority of people that are able to maintain their weight loss have incorporated exercise into their daily routine. It is essential to a healthy lifestyle. It doesn't have to be grueling. You just have to find activities that you enjoy that get your heart rate up and build some muscle. Lean muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue. So the healthier your body gets, the better able to lose and keep off the pounds.

Another hint is to make sure you stoke that coal fire up just as soon as you wake up. At the very least, drink 8 ounces of water first thing. THAT will take your body out of sleep mode into burning mode immediately. And of course, eat something just as soon as you can. If you aren't hungry in the morning -- that isn't a valid excuse. Neither was I at first. But it is ESSENTIAL. So if nothing else, have a protein shake or other PowerFuel as soon as you can. Then you can wait for the rest of your breakfast if you have to.

"This is just too much food and I'm not hungry." A common complaint from newbies. That usually corrects itself in a few weeks. If you can't get all the food in at first, try drinking some of the servings. One cup of Skim Milk for a PowerFuel. One half cup of No Sugar Added Fruit Juice for a SmartCarb. One half cup of Low Sodium Veggie juice for a vegetable serving. Not ideal, but just skipping them is not a healthy or efficient approach now, or after goal.

So -- why are you rethinking a plan that has proven success? Why are you delaying your success by messing up your metabolism? Why aren't you just doing NS the way it was intended? Stop it. Read the material again, and follow the plan to goal!
    Thank you again for these tips! I do have some yogurt and cottage cheese, so I'll fill up on one of those as my late night snack. Hopefully it won't affect my start on the program too much. I drank a little more than half of the shakes each.

Like 4 Times in 4 Posts

Here is some unlimited extras from the Fast 5 pamphlet: vinegar, red pepper flakes, salsa, try to make an edible shake recipe from those! I am going to switch to the regular protein shakes, those I like. Too much green tree extract taste for me. CS also said could substitute a PowerFuel for the Energizing shake. It is the green tea that gives it the caffeine. The only upside I see to starting with the Fast 5 is time to read the resource guide and boards and the second week will be a snap cause you get to eat more food. Andiweaves I just had a yogurt to make up for the morning shake that revisited me
    Last edited by Beachcomber31; 01-05-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Like 121 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m2marsh View Post
    Has anyone tried the Energizing shake that has also tried the regular NS shakes? How do they compare? Some people just don't like protein shakes.

To the original poster....you don't have to drink the shakes (even on Fast 5). You can have any PowerFuel listed in your material. But I'd MAKE SURE that you eat a big enough portion of the PowerFuel to get up to 110-120 calories. A string cheese in NOT equivalent to a protein shake. You want to pick something that is high protein, such as egg whites, egg substitute, turkey, chicken, tuna, salmon, morningstar veggie burgers, PB2 powdered peanut butter, fat free plain Greek yogurt (add sugar free sweeteners or sugar free jello mix or sugar free pudding mix if you don't like the taste of plain).

Alternatively -- stop the Fast 5. It is a silly gimmick NS has developed. I believe you'd be better served to switch to the regular NS plan you are slated for after the first week. ESPECIALLY since you don't like protein shakes.
    I ordered a box of the men's when they first came out but they have too much caffeine in them for what I am allowed so I cut one with two vanilla shakes and added in Toriano or WF chocolate and coffee syrup and it tasted the way I want. I would suggest getting some 0 or low calorie sugar free syrup, at Wal-Mart or local retailer and changing the taste. Also blending with the ice always help.

A-

Like 4,180 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber31 View Post
    Here is some unlimited extras from the Fast 5 pamphlet: vinegar, red pepper flakes, salsa, try to make an edible shake recipe from those! I am going to switch to the regular protein shakes, those I like. Too much green tree extract taste for me. CS also said could substitute a PowerFuel for the Energizing shake. It is the green tea that gives it the caffeine. The only upside I see to starting with the Fast 5 is time to read the resource guide and boards and the second week will be a snap cause you get to eat more food. Andiweaves I just had a yogurt to make up for the morning shake that revisited me
    Only problem with that (unless it is a Greek yogurt) is that you'd be missing a lot of the intended protein. The shakes have 15 grams. Protein helps with hunger.

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m2marsh For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles25 (01-22-2014)

Like 1 Time in 1 Post

I love the Craving Crusher!! but agree the energizing one has a funny taste and I have only managed to drink 2 of them . I like the protein shakes so far the coffee one is my fav

Like 2 Times in 1 Post

I started Nutrisystem today, and also got the Fast Five, so giving that a go. I just had the EnergiZing Chocolate Shake, and it was pretty good! It's 'formulated for men,' so may be slightly different. I like green tea, so I like it. To each their own!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mortisetoo For This Useful Post:

LakeW (01-06-2014),RobinSparkles25 (01-22-2014)

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mortisetoo View Post
    I started Nutrisystem today, and also got the Fast Five, so giving that a go. I just had the EnergiZing Chocolate Shake, and it was pretty good! It's 'formulated for men,' so may be slightly different. I like green tea, so I like it. To each their own!
    The shakes are not my favorite. I was sent chocolate for both. I just shake them up and drink them down quickly. They are almost too chocolatey for me, which is ironic since I love chocolate.

I am looking foward to next week when I can add in fruits and proteins.

Like 4,180 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by margiera View Post
    The shakes are not my favorite. I was sent chocolate for both. I just shake them up and drink them down quickly. They are almost too chocolatey for me, which is ironic since I love chocolate.

I am looking foward to next week when I can add in fruits and proteins.
    Hang in there. The actual NS plan is gonna be a treat after that stuff!

Lost 45 pounds and maintaining since 4/2/09

Any advice or information I provide either on discussion boards, inbox messages, PMs, or e-mail is based on my personal knowledge, experience and observations. I don't work for Nutrisystem. I'm a member just like you. Only NS employees can make official NS statements.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to m2marsh For This Useful Post:

margiera (01-06-2014)

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had the regular shakes and the new energizing shakes that came in my last order. I love the coffee and vanilla regular shakes...but I had to force myself to drink the new energizing one. It was pretty gross.

Like 26 Times in 15 Posts

My husband and I started 5 days ago (not doing Fast5) but we did get the Energizing and Carb Crushing shakes. We both love the taste of them! I was surprised by how much we liked them. Neither of us can taste an after taste with the Energizing but we do NOT feel energized after drinking them (not even a little!). We will be getting the regular shakes in our next order and I cannot wait to try them. Someone, in an earlier post, said instead of the Carb Crushing to use a regular protien shake and 1/2 a carb. Why only 1/2 if we get a PF and SC for afternoon snack?

You are all so helpful! Thank you!