Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 421 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb Couch to 5K program information and support group

So maybe you’ve been told about the Couch to 5K program by somebody on this board, or are just curious about this program you’ve seen mentioned. What the heck is it?

Couch to 5K is a free program for absolute beginning runners (couch potatoes) that gently and gradually gets you running to the level of being able to complete a 5K run (3.11 miles).

Don’t believe it? Well, I’m living proof. I was a true couch potato when it came to running (I could do other forms of cardio, but I would have horrible wheezing or an outright asthma attack if I tried to run any distance). I started C25K a couple of years ago but had to stop midway through the third week due to an injury. This spring, I entered my first 5K race to give myself a challenge, and I picked C25K back up again from week one.

Earlier this month, I ran in that first 5K and finished it in pretty good time. More importantly, I blasted through that goal and had a great time doing it. I’m running a minimum of 10 miles per week consistently, and have begun training today for my first half marathon in January. You can do it too!

You can find the C25K program here.

It's a nine-week program, though I took a lot longer than that because I was only able to run twice a week instead of three times. It's very flexible, so you can repeat weeks if you feel you want more time before advancing.

There are some free podcasts available if you have an MP3 player, that really help by telling you when to switch from walking to running so you don't have to watch the time. You can find them here for MP3 players and here for iPod. They're also available on iTunes.

Whether you are looking for the kind of inspiration that only a real challenge (like entering your first 5K) can provide, or you want to achieve a “runner’s body” (or both), I can’t recommend this program highly enough.

If you do decide to give C25K a try, please post here and let us know how you’re doing. Many of us have been through the program and can answer any questions, offer encouragement, and even serve as a sounding board if you need to vent some frustration. We’ve been there.

Good luck on the program, and keep us posted on your progress or let us know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by UCSBDani; 12-31-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Formatted links to make them more obvious
    Dani
    “To change one’s life; Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.” - William James

Ready to start? Check out Couch to 5K!

Upcoming races:

Camarillo Duathlon -- Sunday, November 21, 2010 <-- not gonna happen.

View My Training Log

Like 299 Times in 185 Posts

What is on the podcast? Music or someone talking or both? If music, what kind? Do they choose the music or can you fill it in? I didn't want to download to my IPOD without knowing what is on it. KWIM?

Now that the weather has changed, I wanted to give C25K a try.

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgbinky View Post
    What is on the podcast? Music or someone talking or both? If music, what kind? Do they choose the music or can you fill it in? I didn't want to download to my IPOD without knowing what is on it. KWIM?

Now that the weather has changed, I wanted to give C25K a try.
    The podcasts do have music, and then occasional voice-over to tell you when to switch from walking to running and vice-versa. It's not the music I would choose, necessarily, but it is a good tempo for the workouts. I guess I'd call it techno. I dunno ... I'm a punk rock girl myself. Everything else sounds sort of tinkly.

You can always do the program without the podcasts and use your own music. I found the podcasts helpful because I tend to get lost in my thoughts when I'm working out and forget to look at the time.

Edited to add: I just realized ... if you go to the MP3 podcast link, you can actually listen to the podcasts online before you download and decide for yourself if you want to use them.
    Last edited by UCSBDani; 09-19-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added info on podcast preview
    Dani
    “To change one’s life; Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.” - William James

Upcoming races:

View My Training Log

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I'm so excited

I'm so exicited to find this board. I've tried the couch to 5k plan before but I never knew about the podcasts....they're awesome. I'm going to start one day this week. I can't wait. I'm listening to the first podcast right now and it makes me want to get up and run....I can't wait to hit the pavement. thanks so much...i'll keep you posted.
    Peace, Love and Smaller Thighs,
    Amanda

"Life's short, wear good shoes"

253 /232.5 /135

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

okay..I'm in! I've been working out fairly steadily, but I love a challenge (even if I'm only racing against myself!) I'm starting 9-20-07!

160 lbs: New Workout clothes
    155 lbs: Pediure
    150 lbs: Facial
    145 lbs: Vacation
    140 lbs: New Clothes
    135 lbs: Day Spa!

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dani - I'd love to join this challenge! I printed off the C25k program over a year ago...and never 'did' it. Count me in!!

Do we start on a particular day? Check in on a particular day? or just a running thread? (pardon the pun!!)

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amanda, Paula, and Sophia,

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the program as much as I have. Just pop in and post when you've completed a day (i.e. Week 1 Day 1 completed) and let us know how you did. Use it as a sort of running journal if you like. It's a great motivation on those days when you feel like you haven't made any progress, to look back at just how far you've actually come.

I am heading out for my first early morning dark training run right now so I'll be back in an hour or so to report.
    Dani

Upcoming races:

View My Training Log

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mornin' all,

Week 1 Day 2 of my half marathon training is completed: 5 miles, 59:37, 553 calories. It was kind of fun running in the dark, though I realized that I need to get a little flashlight to carry with me for some portions of the run.

Good luck to those of you who are starting the C25K program. I can't wait to hear how your first run/walk went!
    Dani

Upcoming races:

View My Training Log

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Day 1 Week 1...

Mornin everyone!
    Today was Day 1 Week 1 of the C25k......well,
    I'm really out of shape, I thought my lungs might collapse (j/k). To be honest, I didn't make it to the last 3 intervals (hides face in shame), but I still feel good about it. I got in a 1.2 miles in 14 min, and I literally haven't moved off of my couch in a while, so I was proud of that. I also have been smoking for the past 3 years and just quit on Friday....thats a lot of the prob i'm sure. At first I was mad at myself. I go from being an athlete most of my life, to not even being able to run an entire mile. How did I let it get that far. None the less, I'm doin something about it, so I'm excited, I know I can do this. It's on my "lifes to do list" to run a marathon, I guess this is as good a place as any to begin. wish me luck.....and good luck to all of you!
    Peace, Love and Smaller Thighs,
    Amanda

"Life's short, wear good shoes"

253 /232.5 /135

Like 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great job, Amanda! I remember how tough that first workout was as if it were yesterday.

Good for you on quitting smoking!!! I quit 6 years ago after many, many practice quits. I think this one "stuck" because I replaced my habit with the habit of exercise. I think that this program may help you out with the quitting, too, if you stick with it.

Again, great start!
    Dani

Upcoming races:

View My Training Log